Emergency Preparedness

Newlyweds (and brides/grooms) can post here to discuss life beyond their wedding plans

Emergency Preparedness

Postby jennelled » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:53 am

Charlotte is losing it's collective sh!t over Florence, and we did something similar last year around this time, too. Stores are running out of bottled water y'all! The time to prep for an emergency is not as that emergency is looming over you, ha ha.

There may not be hurricanes in StL, but you still need an emergency kit! So, topic of the day, what do you have in your emergency kit? What plans do you have in place?

**Charlotte is going to be fiiiiiiine. The coast? Epic destruction. But seriously, we're three hours inward. It will be windy and rainy. We may lose power, perhaps for days, due to downed lines. There may be some localized flooding. Overall, though, this is an inconvenience not an emergency.
Jennelle: wife to Matt 06.07.08, mom to Audrey Grace 02.05.12, Clara Rose 08.06.14, and Corinne Elise 09.24.17
Image Image Image
User avatar
jennelled
Level 19
Level 19
 
Posts: 14998
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:09 am
Wedding Date: Summer 2008

Re: Emergency Preparedness

Postby k.linn » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:58 am

I have a friend who moved from MO to NC and she laughed at what a huge shift it was in terms of weather-related hysteria there versus here (especially snow!) though I’m sure those up north who get more severe winters think we’re wussies too, so I suppose it’s all relative.

We actually just had the kids practice what to do in the event of a fire and had them show us two ways they could exit the house from their rooms. Talk about so many questions! It was really hard for them to comprehend if they yell out and don’t hear/see us immediately to just leave the house. Kind of a tangent, but still. . .

For preparedness I am sure I don’t do enough. We’ve got some jugs of water in the basement and a tote with snacks and flashlights & a first aid kit. We also have one of those weather radios. I make the kids put shoes on before we go downstairs. I do have a winter kit that goes in our cars (spending 15+ hours in my van in the snow taught me not to mess around with commuting in a rural area at winter time!). In that I keep water, snacks, those hot pad/Warmer things, an electric car blanket, and a cup to pee in. I was eternally grateful for my kids for leaving their trash/drink cups in my car for once when I was stuck—the bathroom struggle was real!) :laughing:
Kim: wife to Phil (07.01.06) and Mama to Audrey, Micah, Hadley, and Malachi.
[url
User avatar
k.linn
Level 15
Level 15
 
Posts: 5294
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:45 pm
Location: Wentzville
Wedding Date: Summer 2006

Re: Emergency Preparedness

Postby maygirl » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:54 pm

Ummm.......nothing. We should probably work on that.
Image
Image
Image
User avatar
maygirl
Level 13
Level 13
 
Posts: 2728
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:09 pm
Location: St. Louis
Wedding Date: Spring 2008

Re: Emergency Preparedness

Postby Steph1673 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:11 pm

maygirl wrote:Ummm.......nothing. We should probably work on that.


ditto!
Image
Image
Steph & Dave ~ 11.08.08
Claire Elizabeth ~ 3.24.11
Theodore David ~ 7.14.15
User avatar
Steph1673
Level 14
Level 14
 
Posts: 3562
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:23 pm
Wedding Date: Fall 2008

Re: Emergency Preparedness

Postby Leann » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:35 am

We do nothing also, but we don't have much storage space for stuff like that.
In Colorado we had bottled water and a bucket of MREs. We couldn't bring that with us though.
Image
Image
Image
[url=http://s211.photobucket.com/user/mattleann/media/Bringer%20Family%20072_zpszf9jpq5t.jpg.html]


http://www.bringertoengland.blogspot.com
Leann
Level 14
Level 14
 
Posts: 3864
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:56 pm
Location: North Yorkshire, UK
Wedding Date: Fall 2007

Re: Emergency Preparedness

Postby Jacoby2Seelen » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:01 am

Steph1673 wrote:
maygirl wrote:Ummm.......nothing. We should probably work on that.


ditto!


ditto x3
Trisha and Ric
November 12, 2005
User avatar
Jacoby2Seelen
Level 13
Level 13
 
Posts: 2875
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:10 am
Location: Belleville, IL
Wedding Date: Fall

Re: Emergency Preparedness

Postby cardinalkite » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:21 am

jennelled wrote:Charlotte is losing it's collective sh!t over Florence, and we did something similar last year around this time, too. Stores are running out of bottled water y'all! The time to prep for an emergency is not as that emergency is looming over you, ha ha.

There may not be hurricanes in StL, but you still need an emergency kit! So, topic of the day, what do you have in your emergency kit? What plans do you have in place?

**Charlotte is going to be fiiiiiiine. The coast? Epic destruction. But seriously, we're three hours inward. It will be windy and rainy. We may lose power, perhaps for days, due to downed lines. There may be some localized flooding. Overall, though, this is an inconvenience not an emergency.


I have to say, that I admire your attitude on the situation. Most people would still lose their sh!t over those things being thrown at them!
Danny: [after a boy goes missing at Yankee Stadium] This would've never happened at Shea.
Vivian: It's so sad how bitter Mets fans are.

-Without a Trace

http://www.leftturnyieldongreen.blogspot.com
User avatar
cardinalkite
Level 14
Level 14
 
Posts: 4423
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:23 am
Location: South City
Wedding Date: Spring 2006

Re: Emergency Preparedness

Postby jennelled » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:12 am

Okay, we've spent the week planning and prepping. Here's what we've got!

Stuff We Had:
-fire escape ladders for each bedroom (I actually bought these several weeks ago, but need to take them out of the boxes and put in each room)
-fire extinguishers (we keep one on each level of the house)
-water (not necessary because we're on city water, but we have 4 gallons + 48 bottles)
-basic first aid supplies
-a flashlight
-LED lantern

Things We Bought:
-a generator (mainly to save the breast milk in our deep freezer, but also useful in general)
-a tent to cover the generator
-gas cans (three, for the generator - and it was SUPER hard to find these!)
-more flashlights
-D batteries
-non-perishable foods
-a hatchet (I have no earthly idea...hack our way out if a tree falls on us? lol)
-diapers

Kim, I really need to put together a car emergency kit. That's a great idea! We have the seatbelt cutters / window smashers floating around somewhere, but that's about it.

And as far as the kids, we need to discuss a fire plan with them. Now's not the time because they're already nervous about the hurricane, but they need to know what to do. I know several of you guys have sent your kids through a safety camp...maybe I can find one here.
Jennelle: wife to Matt 06.07.08, mom to Audrey Grace 02.05.12, Clara Rose 08.06.14, and Corinne Elise 09.24.17
Image Image Image
User avatar
jennelled
Level 19
Level 19
 
Posts: 14998
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:09 am
Wedding Date: Summer 2008

Re: Emergency Preparedness

Postby Steph1673 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:00 am

jennelled wrote:Okay, we've spent the week planning and prepping. Here's what we've got!

Stuff We Had:
-fire escape ladders for each bedroom (I actually bought these several weeks ago, but need to take them out of the boxes and put in each room)
.


What size/length fire escape ladders did you get. I have been wanting to get them, but 13 feet doesn't seem tall enough for our two story. It is an elevated two story craftsman style on an old foundation, so like you walk up stairs to our porch/front door and we have a walk out basement, and I'm wondering if I need the 25 foot (over kill) as opposed to the 13...
Image
Image
Steph & Dave ~ 11.08.08
Claire Elizabeth ~ 3.24.11
Theodore David ~ 7.14.15
User avatar
Steph1673
Level 14
Level 14
 
Posts: 3562
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:23 pm
Wedding Date: Fall 2008

Re: Emergency Preparedness

Postby jennelled » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:13 am

Steph1673 wrote:
jennelled wrote:Okay, we've spent the week planning and prepping. Here's what we've got!

Stuff We Had:
-fire escape ladders for each bedroom (I actually bought these several weeks ago, but need to take them out of the boxes and put in each room)
.


What size/length fire escape ladders did you get. I have been wanting to get them, but 13 feet doesn't seem tall enough for our two story. It is an elevated two story craftsman style on an old foundation, so like you walk up stairs to our porch/front door and we have a walk out basement, and I'm wondering if I need the 25 foot (over kill) as opposed to the 13...

This was a source of concern for me, too! You walk up stairs to our front door, plus we have nine foot ceilings on the main floor (it's a two story). In the back, it's a walkout with a pretty steep hill. I ended up buying these three-story fire ladders. Audrey's windows are in the front of the house, so she could probably have gotten away with a shorter one. Clara and Corinne have windows in the back - Clara's is over the deck, so again probably could have done the shorter one, but Corinne's will have to get her all the way to the ground. Our room has windows in the front as well as the back (not over the deck).

And honestly, the three story version was on sale for $38 so I just bought four of them because it was easier if we all had the same thing!
Jennelle: wife to Matt 06.07.08, mom to Audrey Grace 02.05.12, Clara Rose 08.06.14, and Corinne Elise 09.24.17
Image Image Image
User avatar
jennelled
Level 19
Level 19
 
Posts: 14998
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:09 am
Wedding Date: Summer 2008

Re: Emergency Preparedness

Postby *K » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:02 pm

Why would you not need water because you're on city water? This is an actual question, not me trying to say you need it or more than what you have. That said, I think there were issues with one of the water treating plants being flooded here so it wasn't operating properly. Or, maybe I just made that up.
Image
Image
Image
User avatar
*K
Level 15
Level 15
 
Posts: 4990
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:47 pm
Location: Metro Area
Wedding Date: Summer 2008

Re: Emergency Preparedness

Postby jennelled » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:18 am

*K wrote:Why would you not need water because you're on city water? This is an actual question, not me trying to say you need it or more than what you have. That said, I think there were issues with one of the water treating plants being flooded here so it wasn't operating properly. Or, maybe I just made that up.

City water works without electricity, so you can still use the tap, flush the toilets, take a shower, etc. People on well water generally have electric pumps, so if the power goes out they also lose their water.

A lot of people don't realize the water still works, because it's been conventional wisdom to store water in case of emergencies (for example, filling up the bathtub so you can use it to flush the toilets). But that's because back in the day more people were on well water.

The ONLY reason you might need water if you're on city water is in case of contamination of the water supply - but that's actually really rare! It's why we have some on hand, though.
Jennelle: wife to Matt 06.07.08, mom to Audrey Grace 02.05.12, Clara Rose 08.06.14, and Corinne Elise 09.24.17
Image Image Image
User avatar
jennelled
Level 19
Level 19
 
Posts: 14998
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:09 am
Wedding Date: Summer 2008

Re: Emergency Preparedness

Postby MOjune05 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:07 am

*K wrote:Why would you not need water because you're on city water? This is an actual question, not me trying to say you need it or more than what you have. That said, I think there were issues with one of the water treating plants being flooded here so it wasn't operating properly. Or, maybe I just made that up.

Didn’t this happen when the Meramec flooded? The Fenton water plant flooded and was contaminated. I think a lot of people had a boil order for awhile but I don’t remember the specifics.
Image
ImageImage
MOjune05
Level 7
Level 7
 
Posts: 463
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:32 pm

Re: Emergency Preparedness

Postby *K » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:59 pm

MOjune05 wrote:
*K wrote:Why would you not need water because you're on city water? This is an actual question, not me trying to say you need it or more than what you have. That said, I think there were issues with one of the water treating plants being flooded here so it wasn't operating properly. Or, maybe I just made that up.

Didn’t this happen when the Meramec flooded? The Fenton water plant flooded and was contaminated. I think a lot of people had a boil order for awhile but I don’t remember the specifics.


I think that's what I was thinking of.

Jennelle, are you in the all clear now? I saw a few pictures you posted and I think your comments were that they related to areas around you. I hope that means you didn't have any damage.
Image
Image
Image
User avatar
*K
Level 15
Level 15
 
Posts: 4990
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:47 pm
Location: Metro Area
Wedding Date: Summer 2008

Re: Emergency Preparedness

Postby jennelled » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:39 am

*K wrote:I think that's what I was thinking of.

Jennelle, are you in the all clear now? I saw a few pictures you posted and I think your comments were that they related to areas around you. I hope that means you didn't have any damage.

Yep! We got a little over 10" of rain in just over 24 hours. There were a lot of downed trees in our area, including in our neighborhood, but thankfully we didn't have any fall on houses in our 'hood! There was a lot of flash flooding and one little boy died because his mom drove around a barrier and stalled, then lost hold of him as she tried to get them out of the car. :cry:

The coast, though - it got hammered. :(
Jennelle: wife to Matt 06.07.08, mom to Audrey Grace 02.05.12, Clara Rose 08.06.14, and Corinne Elise 09.24.17
Image Image Image
User avatar
jennelled
Level 19
Level 19
 
Posts: 14998
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:09 am
Wedding Date: Summer 2008

Re: Emergency Preparedness

Postby Leann » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:37 am

jennelled wrote:
*K wrote:I think that's what I was thinking of.

Jennelle, are you in the all clear now? I saw a few pictures you posted and I think your comments were that they related to areas around you. I hope that means you didn't have any damage.

Yep! We got a little over 10" of rain in just over 24 hours. There were a lot of downed trees in our area, including in our neighborhood, but thankfully we didn't have any fall on houses in our 'hood! There was a lot of flash flooding and one little boy died because his mom drove around a barrier and stalled, then lost hold of him as she tried to get them out of the car. :cry:

The coast, though - it got hammered. :(


How horrific for that mother and their family. :cry:
Image
Image
Image
[url=http://s211.photobucket.com/user/mattleann/media/Bringer%20Family%20072_zpszf9jpq5t.jpg.html]


http://www.bringertoengland.blogspot.com
Leann
Level 14
Level 14
 
Posts: 3864
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:56 pm
Location: North Yorkshire, UK
Wedding Date: Fall 2007

Re: Emergency Preparedness

Postby Phlpns314JLF » Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:28 am

WHen we bought a house, a basement was 100% at the top of the list. We came from a second-floor condo. We currently don't have any supplies down there so I need to get on it.

One of the houses we considered had what we deemed a "prepper room" with a lot of shelves and was completely concrete.
J.L.F. + J.W.H.
03.14.09

_~*My Blog*~_

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wXCfO71/]
Image
[/url]
Image
User avatar
Phlpns314JLF
Level 15
Level 15
 
Posts: 4777
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:04 pm
Location: St. Peters
Wedding Date: Spring 2009


Disclaimer: The statements expressed in this forum are personal opinions and not necessarily those of the management of this board. Please remember that opinions are subjective, and your experience with any vendor or other entity may be different from the opinions you see listed here. View Terms of Use

Return to Life Goes On

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot] and 30 guests