Photo centerpieces... again - **UPDATED w/ instructions**

If you create a cool do it yourself project and would like to share your templates/instructions. This is the place. (as always no posting of copyrighted material - original creations only)

Photo centerpieces... again - **UPDATED w/ instructions**

Postby nfraz1402 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:56 pm

I posted these a while ago, but I can't seem to find the post (are all the old ones gone since the redesign?). Anyway, a few people have been asking about them lately, so I thought I would post pics of them again.

If you would like to know how we made them, pm me :)

Hope this provides some inspiration/help for some of you!

nicky
Last edited by nfraz1402 on Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image Image

nfraz1402
Level 11
Level 11

Location: living in St. Louis, Mo - wedding in St. Charles, Mo
Wedding Date: Summer 2008

Re: Photo centerpieces... again

Postby jpowers1120 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:39 am

Those are beautiful Nicky...you are very talented and creative. I wish I had some of that in me. I thought I would have enough to take on the invitations all by myself :)
I think that type of idea would be very cool with my memory candle. I hate to steal all your ideas, so I'm going to try to come up with my own.
Thanks for the inspirations!!!
jpowers1120
Level 4
Level 4

Postby admin » Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:46 am

The posts on the GWT board go away after 60 days... the LGO board is a little shorter then that. If we tried to keep EVERY post then navigating the board would get WAY too slow. We have to make room for new posts... but if you post in the DIY board, I keep those posts longer (since it's supposed to be a do-it-yourself reference library).

I'll make a copy of your post on the DIY board so you don't have to re-post in two months ;) Feel free to reply to the post on the DIY board with more detailed instructions so the reference library will include everything a new bride needs to recreate this project.

Thanks!
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby bridetobe » Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:41 pm

Those are amazing...anyway you could send me directions to make one?
bridetobe
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Photo centerpieces... again - **UPDATED w/ instructions**

Postby nfraz1402 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:07 pm

Here are the instructions - I will update this post soon, hopefully, with photos of the process. PM me if you have ANY questions!

Photo Centerpieces

I got the idea for these from the Martha Stewart project. However, her instructions sucked, so hopefully mine will be a little more helpful ;) These instructions are for square centerpieces - they may need to be modified for three-sided centerpieces, which I will be making for my parents' anniversary, so I will post after that.

Materials needed:
Photo frames in matching sizes (3 or 4 to a piece)
Newspaper or dropcloth
Spray paint in chosen color (if frames aren’t your desired color)
Clear silicone caulk
Caulk gun
Painter’s tape
Cardboard boxes, or 90º angle on which to tape the frames
Vellum
Zots (sticky adhesive dots for scrapbooking) or other double-sided adhesive
Votive candles
Glass candle-holders

Instructions:

1) Painting the frames: Begin by disassembling the frame by taking out the backing and discarding it, and removing the glass and setting it aside. Lay the frames out and paint with spray paint on both sides, letting each side dry thoroughly before turning over.
2) Printing the photos: While frames are drying, print photos on vellum paper in black and white (or color, whichever you prefer), being very careful to let the ink dry COMPLETELY to avoid smearing. One easy way of doing this is removing the paper from the printer while making sure not to rub the ink on the printer, and laying the papers out on the floor (where nobody is walking) until they dry. When dry, you will probably want to stack them on top of each other with a piece of regular printer between each piece of vellum and place a phonebook or other flat heavy object on them to keep them from curling.
3) Hinging the frames together: Set up your cardboard boxes on a covered surface. Take pairs of frames and lay one on the table or floor (whatever your covered surface is) and butt it up against the cardboard box; hold the other frame upright against the box. Tape the top edge of the frame to the box to hold it in place. Use the clear silicone caulk to pipe a line along the length of the seam. Be sure to run your finger, or better yet a caulking edger, along the seam to remove any excess caulk (do this immediately following the caulking, as it will become tacky quickly). Allow the caulk to fully set (following the instructions on the tube).
4) Assembling: Cut the photos to the desired size (the size of the glass in your frames). Apply the zots or small piece of double-sided adhesive to each corner of the glass, as close to the edge as possible, so it will not show past the inside edge of the frame. Then, carefully apply the vellum, right side down, to the glass, one corner at a time. Next, insert the glass (with vellum attached) into the frame, and secure with metal prongs. Last, place two pairs of frames together to form a square and place votive candle in candle-holder inside. Light candle and watch the magic illuminate!!!

Hope these instructions were easy to follow. Please let me know if you make these and post pictures when you complete them!!!
nicky
Image Image Image

nfraz1402
Level 11
Level 11

Postby jennyk » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:21 pm

I'm trying to print on vellum with my photo printer (inkjet) for a separate DIY project, and the images are coming out very grainy. Seems that the vellum absorbs the ink too easily or something. Did you run into this problem when printing your photos on vellum? Did you use a printer with toner instead of ink? I'm wondering if that would work better...
jennyk
Level 3
Level 3

Wedding Date: Fall 2009

Postby nfraz1402 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:36 pm

jennyk wrote:I'm trying to print on vellum with my photo printer (inkjet) for a separate DIY project, and the images are coming out very grainy. Seems that the vellum absorbs the ink too easily or something. Did you run into this problem when printing your photos on vellum? Did you use a printer with toner instead of ink? I'm wondering if that would work better...

here are a couple of pages i've found with tips for printing on vellum:

http://h71036.www7.hp.com/hho/cache/344 ... 5-121.html

http://www.scrapbook.com/tips/doc/10593/40.html

i think there really is no solution, because mine were grainy as well. but, honestly, when you have them displayed behind the glass and the candle is shining through, you can't even tell - they look fantastic! maybe just try printing photos without a TON of detail. for example, most of my photos were focused on my and dh's faces and pretty zoomed-in. this way there are larger areas of solid color, so less chance of muddled lines/details. does that make any sense?

let me know if you have anymore questions!

nicky
Image Image Image

nfraz1402
Level 11
Level 11

Postby leimills » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:36 pm

Around how much did it cost you to do those? It looks expensive! We want to do it, but we dont want to spend alot on center pieces.
leimills
Level 1
Level 1

Wedding Date: Fall 2009

Postby nfraz1402 » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:17 pm

leimills wrote:Around how much did it cost you to do those? It looks expensive! We want to do it, but we dont want to spend alot on center pieces.

oh my goodness! they were not expensive at all! we bought the frames at the dollar store and spray painted them, and the other materials were very inexpensive as well. we made about 15 of them, with four frames for each of course, and i would say for the frames, spray paint, caulk, vellum and adhesive - it probably all came to about $80-$90 for ALL of them! and that is just an estimate.

let me know if you have anymore questions about the centerpieces!

nicky
Last edited by nfraz1402 on Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image Image

nfraz1402
Level 11
Level 11

Postby cj_stl » Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:12 pm

one question about the photos...did you just use regular vellum like from the scrapbook aisle? I am scared to death to stick it in my FI's printer and have it melt or something...

Or...did you get "printer weight" vellum or something like that??

Thanks!
cj_stl
Level 5
Level 5

Wedding Date: Summer 2009

Postby nfraz1402 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:35 pm

cj_stl wrote:one question about the photos...did you just use regular vellum like from the scrapbook aisle? I am scared to death to stick it in my FI's printer and have it melt or something...

Or...did you get "printer weight" vellum or something like that??

Thanks!

I bought vellum for my printer from Office Max - just make sure to get the correct one for your printer (inkjet or laser).

HTH!

nicky
Image Image Image

nfraz1402
Level 11
Level 11

Postby megnelson18 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:48 am

awesome idea. I love the rustic look that these have.
megnelson18
Level 1
Level 1

Disclaimer: The statements expressed in this forum are personal opinions and not necessarily those of the management of this board. Please remember that opinions are subjective, and your experience with any vendor or other entity may be different from the opinions you see listed here. View Terms of Use

Return to DIY