Antiperspirant

Newlyweds (and brides/grooms) can post here to discuss life beyond their wedding plans

Antiperspirant

Postby jennelled » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:39 am

Along similar lines to my makeup post...do any of you guys not use antiperspirant? The big "claim" is that the aluminum can cause cancer, particularly breast cancer. I'm at a higher risk for breast cancer, so I asked the oncologist I met with a couple of months ago. She said that there is no proven link between antiperspirant and cancer, but that she does not personally use one. Kind of a mixed message, huh? :|
Jennelle: wife to Matt 06.07.08, mom to Audrey Grace 02.05.12, Clara Rose 08.06.14, and Corinne Elise 09.24.17
Image Image Image
jennelled
Level 19
Level 19

Wedding Date: Summer 2008

Re: Antiperspirant

Postby durbaa » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:27 am

jennelled wrote:Along similar lines to my makeup post...do any of you guys not use antiperspirant? The big "claim" is that the aluminum can cause cancer, particularly breast cancer. I'm at a higher risk for breast cancer, so I asked the oncologist I met with a couple of months ago. She said that there is no proven link between antiperspirant and cancer, but that she does not personally use one. Kind of a mixed message, huh? :|

Hmm, that is a mixed message. Did you happen to ask her why she doesn't? I just wonder if it's because she does believe there is a link but it just hasn't been proven yet...
~*Ashley*~

http://gettinghitched.weebly.com My DIY bio...a work in progress

durbaa
Level 10
Level 10

Wedding Date: Fall 2009

Postby LizAnn » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:15 am

I use one. I have been wanting to research this further and maybe find a more natural alternative. I know some people say that your body will adjust, but my hormones are still crazy since having Cheska and I can't imagine not using it.
LizAnn
Level 10
Level 10

Wedding Date: Spring 2011

Postby lovemyweenies » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:10 pm

I haven't used and antiperspirant since I was a teenager. In fact, most days I don't use deodorant at all. I'm just not a very stinky person and I have learned that I really only need something when I'm going to be in a nervous situation. In any case, I've started using Schmidt's deodorant and I really like it. It keeps the stink at bay, but obviously doesn't keep me from sweating as it's not an antiperspirant.

Personally, I'm wary of using something with aluminum. While there isn't some strong, absolute link to aluminum and health issues, there is enough talk with it and breast cancer/alzheimers/dimensia, that if avoiding it isn't some life-altering thing, why not?

This article sums up my feeling perfectly, I think: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21157018

Basically, aluminum hasn't been a proven cause and the body does seem to handle it efficiently, however it's a known neurotoxin and it doesn't take much to cause neurotoxicity. And this is placing everyone in a general box. Are there some who aren't capable of metabolizing aluminum as well as others (similar to MTHFR and the stunted ability to methylate B vitamins and Folate) and therefore at a higher risk of building aluminum up in the system and therefore seeing adverse health affects? It's hard to say.
ImageImageImage

Image Image
lovemyweenies
Level 14
Level 14

Wedding Date: Summer 2008

Disclaimer: The statements expressed in this forum are personal opinions and not necessarily those of the management of this board. Please remember that opinions are subjective, and your experience with any vendor or other entity may be different from the opinions you see listed here. View Terms of Use

Return to Life Goes On