Hypothyroidism / Endocrinologist Rec

Newlyweds (and brides/grooms) can post here to discuss life beyond their wedding plans

Hypothyroidism / Endocrinologist Rec

Postby nicole » Tue May 29, 2018 9:42 am

Hey guys! I was recently diagnosed with hypothyroidism and what is likely Hashimotos. I haven't been experiencing any of the typical symptoms so this was quite a shock to learn from routine bloodwork. My PCP can treat it but I'd feel more comfortable working with a specialist. I believe a few of you have dealt with this disorder specifically so I appreciate any endocrinologist recs or resources you are willing to share! I live in IL but work in STL so I'm open to doc suggestions. I'd kind of prefer to stick with a WashU or SLU affiliation but it's not a must. TIA!
Nicole + Jim | 4/26/08
Baby Keller James | 11/13/15

Baby Blog | House Blog | Wedding Reviews
User avatar
nicole
Level 12
Level 12
 
Posts: 2435
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:52 am
Wedding Date: Spring 2008

Re: Hypothyroidism / Endocrinologist Rec

Postby Steph1673 » Tue May 29, 2018 9:26 pm

I have both hypo & hashis, and I went with a PCP/DO (Schoenwalder) who I knew was open to prescribing natural desiccated hormones (I'm on Naturethroid) as opposed to a synthetic (such as synthroid or levo). If I was going to be on hormones for the rest of my life, I wanted to try to be as natural as possible to start and it has worked; I team it with a small does of cytomel, too.

I would suggest doing a lot of research for an endo who may specialize in, or have a special interest in, thyroid & women's issues as opposed to many who are more general or diabetes focused, etc. I am in a bunch of thyroid and hashis FB groups and it seems that many endos just hand out synthroid like candy and then say see ya in six months or a year. If you are looking for other approaches definitely shop around for second and third opinions if you are not feeling better.

My doctor also looks into "root cause" and will suggest things like diet changes to reduce antibodies, check on adrenal fatigue... basically just looking at the whole picture and not just your TSH.

Best of luck to you!
Image
Image
Steph & Dave ~ 11.08.08
Claire Elizabeth ~ 3.24.11
Theodore David ~ 7.14.15
User avatar
Steph1673
Level 14
Level 14
 
Posts: 3561
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:23 pm
Wedding Date: Fall 2008

Re: Hypothyroidism / Endocrinologist Rec

Postby nicole » Wed May 30, 2018 7:34 am

Thank you SO much for your response, Steph! I really appreciate it. I also heard from Amy B and she let me know that she sees Dr. Shoenwalder as well. I received recs from 2 people yesterday for Dr Nicole Ducharme at Wash-U so I made an appt with her, but now I'm wondering if I might appreciate a more natural approach and perhaps I should try Dr. Schoenwalder instead. I have so much to learn!
Nicole + Jim | 4/26/08
Baby Keller James | 11/13/15

Baby Blog | House Blog | Wedding Reviews
User avatar
nicole
Level 12
Level 12
 
Posts: 2435
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:52 am
Wedding Date: Spring 2008

Re: Hypothyroidism / Endocrinologist Rec

Postby svhlkmp » Wed May 30, 2018 8:55 am

nicole wrote:Thank you SO much for your response, Steph! I really appreciate it. I also heard from Amy B and she let me know that she sees Dr. Shoenwalder as well. I received recs from 2 people yesterday for Dr Nicole Ducharme at Wash-U so I made an appt with her, but now I'm wondering if I might appreciate a more natural approach and perhaps I should try Dr. Schoenwalder instead. I have so much to learn!


I don't have either - but we LOVE Dr. Mike because of SO many reasons!
Image

Image
User avatar
svhlkmp
Level 12
Level 12
 
Posts: 2479
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:59 am
Wedding Date: Spring 2008

Re: Hypothyroidism / Endocrinologist Rec

Postby Beth&Bobby5308 » Wed May 30, 2018 9:44 am

nicole wrote:Thank you SO much for your response, Steph! I really appreciate it. I also heard from Amy B and she let me know that she sees Dr. Shoenwalder as well. I received recs from 2 people yesterday for Dr Nicole Ducharme at Wash-U so I made an appt with her, but now I'm wondering if I might appreciate a more natural approach and perhaps I should try Dr. Schoenwalder instead. I have so much to learn!



I have Grave's Disease and had my thyroid removed when I was 15. I was seeing Dr.Ducharme, but I had to switch. I had been seeing a Dr. in the practice she moved to at Wash-U and left because of the wait times, etc. and began seeing her when she was in a smaller office. When she moved, I liked her so much I decided to give the office a try again. But I eventually gave up. Twice I went to appointments and waited over 45 minutes in the waiting room, and another 30 in the office to see her, then another 20-30 to get the paperwork to have labs done. The last time I went, I was in the waiting room for an hour, the person ahead of me went and asked how much longer and they told her at least 30 minutes. I left. Working full time, I just don't have the time it takes to see one Dr. By the time you find a place to park, walk over to the building, wait for the elevator to the 13th floor and then wait to see her, I was looking at having to take a half day of PTO and I just wasn't willing to do that. Again, I really liked her, but the office needs some work!
Beth&Bobby5308
Level 4
Level 4
 
Posts: 153
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:27 am
Location: St.Louis
Wedding Date: Spring 2008

Re: Hypothyroidism / Endocrinologist Rec

Postby nicole » Thu May 31, 2018 7:35 am

Beth&Bobby5308 wrote:
nicole wrote:Thank you SO much for your response, Steph! I really appreciate it. I also heard from Amy B and she let me know that she sees Dr. Shoenwalder as well. I received recs from 2 people yesterday for Dr Nicole Ducharme at Wash-U so I made an appt with her, but now I'm wondering if I might appreciate a more natural approach and perhaps I should try Dr. Schoenwalder instead. I have so much to learn!



I have Grave's Disease and had my thyroid removed when I was 15. I was seeing Dr.Ducharme, but I had to switch. I had been seeing a Dr. in the practice she moved to at Wash-U and left because of the wait times, etc. and began seeing her when she was in a smaller office. When she moved, I liked her so much I decided to give the office a try again. But I eventually gave up. Twice I went to appointments and waited over 45 minutes in the waiting room, and another 30 in the office to see her, then another 20-30 to get the paperwork to have labs done. The last time I went, I was in the waiting room for an hour, the person ahead of me went and asked how much longer and they told her at least 30 minutes. I left. Working full time, I just don't have the time it takes to see one Dr. By the time you find a place to park, walk over to the building, wait for the elevator to the 13th floor and then wait to see her, I was looking at having to take a half day of PTO and I just wasn't willing to do that. Again, I really liked her, but the office needs some work!


What a bummer! I also don't have the flexibility (or patience!) to take that much time for an appointment! BUT, I just tried to make an appt with Dr. Shoenwalder and he is currently not taking new patients :crybaby:

Can I ask who you see now?
Nicole + Jim | 4/26/08
Baby Keller James | 11/13/15

Baby Blog | House Blog | Wedding Reviews
User avatar
nicole
Level 12
Level 12
 
Posts: 2435
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:52 am
Wedding Date: Spring 2008

Re: Hypothyroidism / Endocrinologist Rec

Postby Beth&Bobby5308 » Thu May 31, 2018 9:16 am

nicole wrote:
Beth&Bobby5308 wrote:
nicole wrote:Thank you SO much for your response, Steph! I really appreciate it. I also heard from Amy B and she let me know that she sees Dr. Shoenwalder as well. I received recs from 2 people yesterday for Dr Nicole Ducharme at Wash-U so I made an appt with her, but now I'm wondering if I might appreciate a more natural approach and perhaps I should try Dr. Schoenwalder instead. I have so much to learn!



I have Grave's Disease and had my thyroid removed when I was 15. I was seeing Dr.Ducharme, but I had to switch. I had been seeing a Dr. in the practice she moved to at Wash-U and left because of the wait times, etc. and began seeing her when she was in a smaller office. When she moved, I liked her so much I decided to give the office a try again. But I eventually gave up. Twice I went to appointments and waited over 45 minutes in the waiting room, and another 30 in the office to see her, then another 20-30 to get the paperwork to have labs done. The last time I went, I was in the waiting room for an hour, the person ahead of me went and asked how much longer and they told her at least 30 minutes. I left. Working full time, I just don't have the time it takes to see one Dr. By the time you find a place to park, walk over to the building, wait for the elevator to the 13th floor and then wait to see her, I was looking at having to take a half day of PTO and I just wasn't willing to do that. Again, I really liked her, but the office needs some work!


What a bummer! I also don't have the flexibility (or patience!) to take that much time for an appointment! BUT, I just tried to make an appt with Dr. Shoenwalder and he is currently not taking new patients :crybaby:

Can I ask who you see now?



I have been seeing Dr. Mogassbi with SSM, but I just got a letter that he is leaving. I was neither here nor there with him, so back to the drawing board. Bummer on Dr.Shoenwalder, he has been on my list to call for months and I just never did. :(
Beth&Bobby5308
Level 4
Level 4
 
Posts: 153
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:27 am
Location: St.Louis
Wedding Date: Spring 2008

Re: Hypothyroidism / Endocrinologist Rec

Postby *K » Thu May 31, 2018 10:23 pm

Out of curiosity, what types of things were they testing for to determine this? I would like to have some blood work done to generally test for deficiencies but not sure what to ask for. I’ve had basic blood work back but that seemed to really only show cholesterol and blood sugar.

I hope you find a great doctor and this doesn’t cause you any issues.
Image
Image
Image
User avatar
*K
Level 15
Level 15
 
Posts: 4978
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:47 pm
Location: Metro Area
Wedding Date: Summer 2008

Re: Hypothyroidism / Endocrinologist Rec

Postby ame » Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:03 pm

I was born without a thyroid entirely--I am the reason babies are tested in our state, just as a bonus factoid. My records are only one of four patients that my pediatrician's office did not put in deep storage...Because I am a case they often refer to. I tried to get a copy of them made available for Amy B regarding her son, but I don't know if they did it.

I have been on synthroid since BEFORE I was born, as they supplemented me through my mom. We tried Armour for a while, and that didn't do much for me. My mom has since switched since menopause as it worked better for her after she hit her big change into an old lady. :laughing:

Anyway---I see Dr. Raju, she's near the YMCA on Tesson Ferry. I used to go to Thampy, and we fired him as soon as we learned he misdiagnosed my husband as Type 1 and was keeping him on insulin, thus making him sicker. On top of that, he refused to fill my husbands RX because my husband couldn't sit and wait for 4 hours every damn appt, and decided he'd rather kill him instead. Making matters worse: he would have me submit to ultrasounds I didn't need, just to bill my insurance.

Make sure they're testing more than just TSH. They need to be looking at your T3 and T4 as well. And go by how you feel and not just labs. It's important that they not just rely on those.

You can message me on FB if you want to ask more questions about me being a giant freak.
Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular.
User avatar
ame
Level 18
Level 18
 
Posts: 10168
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:24 am
Location: South
Wedding Date: Summer 2005

Re: Hypothyroidism / Endocrinologist Rec

Postby Steph1673 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:17 am

ame wrote:I was born without a thyroid entirely--I am the reason babies are tested in our state, just as a bonus factoid. My records are only one of four patients that my pediatrician's office did not put in deep storage...Because I am a case they often refer to. I tried to get a copy of them made available for Amy B regarding her son, but I don't know if they did it.

I have been on synthroid since BEFORE I was born, as they supplemented me through my mom. We tried Armour for a while, and that didn't do much for me. My mom has since switched since menopause as it worked better for her after she hit her big change into an old lady. :laughing:

Anyway---I see Dr. Raju, she's near the YMCA on Tesson Ferry. I used to go to Thampy, and we fired him as soon as we learned he misdiagnosed my husband as Type 1 and was keeping him on insulin, thus making him sicker. On top of that, he refused to fill my husbands RX because my husband couldn't sit and wait for 4 hours every damn appt, and decided he'd rather kill him instead. Making matters worse: he would have me submit to ultrasounds I didn't need, just to bill my insurance.

Make sure they're testing more than just TSH. They need to be looking at your T3 and T4 as well. And go by how you feel and not just labs. It's important that they not just rely on those.

You can message me on FB if you want to ask more questions about me being a giant freak.


How interesting, Amy! My cousin was born without his, too.

Yes, yes on not just TSH! And agree, to go off how you are feeling, when I was overmedicated (or under) I get really jittery and anxious which was actually one of my early signs of hypo. I actually thought I was having post-partum anxiety until we tested and my TSH was through the roof (barely functioning).

Also, Naturethroid was out of production for a bit a few months back and I was switched to Armour (another Natural Dessicated Hormone) and I started losing my hair! Like literally it was half as thick as it used to be. So I asked my NP and she said I was her third complaint saying the same thing. Luckily, my does of Naturethroid cam back in stock and I'm back on it. All that to say... obviously everything works differently for everyone so it will take some trial and error for both dosage and the med itself.
Image
Image
Steph & Dave ~ 11.08.08
Claire Elizabeth ~ 3.24.11
Theodore David ~ 7.14.15
User avatar
Steph1673
Level 14
Level 14
 
Posts: 3561
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:23 pm
Wedding Date: Fall 2008

Re: Hypothyroidism / Endocrinologist Rec

Postby Beth&Bobby5308 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:28 am

Steph1673 wrote:
ame wrote:I was born without a thyroid entirely--I am the reason babies are tested in our state, just as a bonus factoid. My records are only one of four patients that my pediatrician's office did not put in deep storage...Because I am a case they often refer to. I tried to get a copy of them made available for Amy B regarding her son, but I don't know if they did it.

I have been on synthroid since BEFORE I was born, as they supplemented me through my mom. We tried Armour for a while, and that didn't do much for me. My mom has since switched since menopause as it worked better for her after she hit her big change into an old lady. :laughing:

Anyway---I see Dr. Raju, she's near the YMCA on Tesson Ferry. I used to go to Thampy, and we fired him as soon as we learned he misdiagnosed my husband as Type 1 and was keeping him on insulin, thus making him sicker. On top of that, he refused to fill my husbands RX because my husband couldn't sit and wait for 4 hours every damn appt, and decided he'd rather kill him instead. Making matters worse: he would have me submit to ultrasounds I didn't need, just to bill my insurance.

Make sure they're testing more than just TSH. They need to be looking at your T3 and T4 as well. And go by how you feel and not just labs. It's important that they not just rely on those.

You can message me on FB if you want to ask more questions about me being a giant freak.


How interesting, Amy! My cousin was born without his, too.

Yes, yes on not just TSH! And agree, to go off how you are feeling, when I was overmedicated (or under) I get really jittery and anxious which was actually one of my early signs of hypo. I actually thought I was having post-partum anxiety until we tested and my TSH was through the roof (barely functioning).

Also, Naturethroid was out of production for a bit a few months back and I was switched to Armour (another Natural Dessicated Hormone) and I started losing my hair! Like literally it was half as thick as it used to be. So I asked my NP and she said I was her third complaint saying the same thing. Luckily, my does of Naturethroid cam back in stock and I'm back on it. All that to say... obviously everything works differently for everyone so it will take some trial and error for both dosage and the med itself.



It is amazing how many people suffer from some type of thyroid disorder. I tried Armour a few years back and didn't have any success either. I do want to look into Naturethroid though. Thanks for all the good information ladies (even though, this was Nicole's post, it was super helpful). :)
Beth&Bobby5308
Level 4
Level 4
 
Posts: 153
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:27 am
Location: St.Louis
Wedding Date: Spring 2008

Re: Hypothyroidism / Endocrinologist Rec

Postby nicole » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:41 am

*K wrote:Out of curiosity, what types of things were they testing for to determine this? I would like to have some blood work done to generally test for deficiencies but not sure what to ask for. I’ve had basic blood work back but that seemed to really only show cholesterol and blood sugar.

I hope you find a great doctor and this doesn’t cause you any issues.


Thanks Karen! So, it's very random how it came about that I got tested. I've only used my gyno for the past few years as I haven't been sick or had any heath issues to speak of. I decided I needed to find a primary care doctor in the event I were to get sick, so I made an appt with one that came highly recommended by many friends and strangers (other local moms on FB). She asked if I wanted to get my bloodwork done since I'd never really had a full workup (except the normal pregnancy blood tests and an annual finger prick at work for cholesterol/blood sugar - which have always been normal). I almost didn't even get the bloodwork done since I felt fine and had no history of issues but figured why not. The first test I had done included "COMPREHENSIVE METABOLIC PANEL, CBC (INCLUDES DIFF/PLT), HEMOGLOBIN A1c, TSH, T4 FREE". When that test revealed super high TSH levels (normal is under 4.5 mIU/L, mine was 23), my doctor ordered a second series of tests to confirm there wasn't an error with the TSH and do some additional thyroid testing. Those tests were: " THYROGLOBULIN ANTIBODIES, THYROID PEROXIDASE ANTIBODIES, T3FREE, TSH, T4 FREE". The results showed again high TSH levels, as well as SUPER high THYROID PEROXIDASE ANTIBODIES (normal is under 9 IU/mL, mine was over 600). The high level of antibodies indicates that I likely have Hashimotos.

Again, I wasn't experiencing any of the typical symptoms of Hypothyroidism so this was all very surprising to me. I do experience some fatigue/general tiredness, but I just attribute that to being the mom of a toddler. Otherwise I really don't have any symptoms. Although I'm hopeful getting it regulated will help me lose weight more easily!

Since finding this out I reached out to my family to see if anyone else has issues and I did learn that my Aunt (my dad's sister) has Hashimotos. So I definitely have a genetic pre-disposition.
Nicole + Jim | 4/26/08
Baby Keller James | 11/13/15

Baby Blog | House Blog | Wedding Reviews
User avatar
nicole
Level 12
Level 12
 
Posts: 2435
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:52 am
Wedding Date: Spring 2008

Re: Hypothyroidism / Endocrinologist Rec

Postby nicole » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:43 am

ame wrote:I was born without a thyroid entirely--I am the reason babies are tested in our state, just as a bonus factoid. My records are only one of four patients that my pediatrician's office did not put in deep storage...Because I am a case they often refer to. I tried to get a copy of them made available for Amy B regarding her son, but I don't know if they did it.

I have been on synthroid since BEFORE I was born, as they supplemented me through my mom. We tried Armour for a while, and that didn't do much for me. My mom has since switched since menopause as it worked better for her after she hit her big change into an old lady. :laughing:

Anyway---I see Dr. Raju, she's near the YMCA on Tesson Ferry. I used to go to Thampy, and we fired him as soon as we learned he misdiagnosed my husband as Type 1 and was keeping him on insulin, thus making him sicker. On top of that, he refused to fill my husbands RX because my husband couldn't sit and wait for 4 hours every damn appt, and decided he'd rather kill him instead. Making matters worse: he would have me submit to ultrasounds I didn't need, just to bill my insurance.

Make sure they're testing more than just TSH. They need to be looking at your T3 and T4 as well. And go by how you feel and not just labs. It's important that they not just rely on those.

You can message me on FB if you want to ask more questions about me being a giant freak.


Wow, Ame - you've really been through a lot! Thanks for sharing your story and your doctor rec (as well as who to avoid). Appreciate the insight!
Nicole + Jim | 4/26/08
Baby Keller James | 11/13/15

Baby Blog | House Blog | Wedding Reviews
User avatar
nicole
Level 12
Level 12
 
Posts: 2435
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:52 am
Wedding Date: Spring 2008

Re: Hypothyroidism / Endocrinologist Rec

Postby *K » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:46 pm

Thanks for sharing the info on the blood tests. I hope you find a great doctor!
Image
Image
Image
User avatar
*K
Level 15
Level 15
 
Posts: 4978
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:47 pm
Location: Metro Area
Wedding Date: Summer 2008

Re: Hypothyroidism / Endocrinologist Rec

Postby nicole » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:46 am

Just wanted to pop in with an update in case anyone references this post later on looking for endo recs (I know I searched old posts when I was looking). My appt with Dr. Nicole Ducharme went really well - I was in and out in under and hour and really liked her! Prior to the appt I was second guessing going to her because of a few reports of long wait times so I tried getting an appt with 2 other endos at different practices and they were booking 4 and 5 months out - craziness! I can't imagine waiting that long if you were experiencing life-altering symptoms. But anyway, wanted to put in a vote of confidence for her. The WashU Center for Advanced Medicine can be a bit difficult to navigate if you're new to it, but I was already familiar since I had to get monthly ultrasounds there when I was pregnant (monitoring my baby's kidney issues).

If anyone's curious, I'm going to go ahead and try Synthroid since it's worked well for my Aunt with Hashi. I also have to get an ultrasound on my thryoid because it felt swollen at my exam. Fun times.

Thanks again for your insight and support, ladies!
Nicole + Jim | 4/26/08
Baby Keller James | 11/13/15

Baby Blog | House Blog | Wedding Reviews
User avatar
nicole
Level 12
Level 12
 
Posts: 2435
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:52 am
Wedding Date: Spring 2008

Re: Hypothyroidism / Endocrinologist Rec

Postby ame » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:52 pm

I hope you see a huge improvement. And thanks for that dr rec. I might check her out if I need a new dr.
Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular.
User avatar
ame
Level 18
Level 18
 
Posts: 10168
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:24 am
Location: South
Wedding Date: Summer 2005

Re: Hypothyroidism / Endocrinologist Rec

Postby Beth&Bobby5308 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:40 pm

nicole wrote:Just wanted to pop in with an update in case anyone references this post later on looking for endo recs (I know I searched old posts when I was looking). My appt with Dr. Nicole Ducharme went really well - I was in and out in under and hour and really liked her! Prior to the appt I was second guessing going to her because of a few reports of long wait times so I tried getting an appt with 2 other endos at different practices and they were booking 4 and 5 months out - craziness! I can't imagine waiting that long if you were experiencing life-altering symptoms. But anyway, wanted to put in a vote of confidence for her. The WashU Center for Advanced Medicine can be a bit difficult to navigate if you're new to it, but I was already familiar since I had to get monthly ultrasounds there when I was pregnant (monitoring my baby's kidney issues).

If anyone's curious, I'm going to go ahead and try Synthroid since it's worked well for my Aunt with Hashi. I also have to get an ultrasound on my thryoid because it felt swollen at my exam. Fun times.

Thanks again for your insight and support, ladies!



I am so glad it was a quick appointment!! I loved her when I saw her.
Beth&Bobby5308
Level 4
Level 4
 
Posts: 153
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:27 am
Location: St.Louis
Wedding Date: Spring 2008

Re: Hypothyroidism / Endocrinologist Rec

Postby MrsChad » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:48 pm

nicole wrote:Just wanted to pop in with an update in case anyone references this post later on looking for endo recs (I know I searched old posts when I was looking). My appt with Dr. Nicole Ducharme went really well - I was in and out in under and hour and really liked her! Prior to the appt I was second guessing going to her because of a few reports of long wait times so I tried getting an appt with 2 other endos at different practices and they were booking 4 and 5 months out - craziness! I can't imagine waiting that long if you were experiencing life-altering symptoms. But anyway, wanted to put in a vote of confidence for her. The WashU Center for Advanced Medicine can be a bit difficult to navigate if you're new to it, but I was already familiar since I had to get monthly ultrasounds there when I was pregnant (monitoring my baby's kidney issues).

If anyone's curious, I'm going to go ahead and try Synthroid since it's worked well for my Aunt with Hashi. I also have to get an ultrasound on my thryoid because it felt swollen at my exam. Fun times.

Thanks again for your insight and support, ladies!



I ended up with pregnancy induced hyper. I ended up getting in with Dr. Schoenwelder by seeing his nurse practitioner Kristina. She is wonderful, as is Dr. Mike. The ultrasound is quick and painless if you haven't gone in yet. I've had it done twice now and neither time has taken more than 5-10 minutes.
Mindy
ImageImage
ImageImage
Image
User avatar
MrsChad
Level 16
Level 16
 
Posts: 6494
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:23 pm
Location: Portland, OR
Wedding Date: Summer 2007

Re: Hypothyroidism / Endocrinologist Rec

Postby Steph1673 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:18 pm

MrsChad wrote:
nicole wrote:Just wanted to pop in with an update in case anyone references this post later on looking for endo recs (I know I searched old posts when I was looking). My appt with Dr. Nicole Ducharme went really well - I was in and out in under and hour and really liked her! Prior to the appt I was second guessing going to her because of a few reports of long wait times so I tried getting an appt with 2 other endos at different practices and they were booking 4 and 5 months out - craziness! I can't imagine waiting that long if you were experiencing life-altering symptoms. But anyway, wanted to put in a vote of confidence for her. The WashU Center for Advanced Medicine can be a bit difficult to navigate if you're new to it, but I was already familiar since I had to get monthly ultrasounds there when I was pregnant (monitoring my baby's kidney issues).

If anyone's curious, I'm going to go ahead and try Synthroid since it's worked well for my Aunt with Hashi. I also have to get an ultrasound on my thryoid because it felt swollen at my exam. Fun times.

Thanks again for your insight and support, ladies!



I ended up with pregnancy induced hyper. I ended up getting in with Dr. Schoenwelder by seeing his nurse practitioner Kristina. She is wonderful, as is Dr. Mike. The ultrasound is quick and painless if you haven't gone in yet. I've had it done twice now and neither time has taken more than 5-10 minutes.


Love Kristina!
Image
Image
Steph & Dave ~ 11.08.08
Claire Elizabeth ~ 3.24.11
Theodore David ~ 7.14.15
User avatar
Steph1673
Level 14
Level 14
 
Posts: 3561
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:23 pm
Wedding Date: Fall 2008


Disclaimer: The statements expressed in this forum are personal opinions and not necessarily those of the management of this board. Please remember that opinions are subjective, and your experience with any vendor or other entity may be different from the opinions you see listed here. View Terms of Use

Return to Life Goes On

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 18 guests