New House!

Newlyweds (and brides/grooms) can post here to discuss life beyond their wedding plans

New House!

Postby maygirl » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:19 am

So we listed our house mid February and it was under contract within a week! After being listed last spring/summer for over 100 days this was a big relief. After 3 weeks of panic and stress of not knowing where we would be moving to, we put an offer on a house and it was accepted!

So the new house has 2 of the bedrooms sharing a jack and Jill bath and the 4th bedroom has its own bathroom. We are trying to decide who to give their own bathroom. My initial thought was Kayla because she is the oldest and very particular about things. My husband thought we should give it to Karley and have the oldest and youngest share. His reasoning was hey are 4 years apart and won't ever be in high school or middle school at the same time where they would both be trying to get ready at the same time.

Thoughts?
Image
Image
Image
User avatar
maygirl
Level 13
Level 13
 
Posts: 2712
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:09 pm
Location: St. Louis
Wedding Date: Spring 2008

Re: New House!

Postby Linoleum » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:48 am

I think you should definitely give it to the oldest.


    --It's still awhile until any of them are in middle/high school (assuming you are even still in the same house by then, you never know).
    --You said the oldest is neater, so potentially she would do a better job of keeping it clean or eventually cleaning it herself sooner, so less work for you on 1 bathroom vs. 2.
    --May be too soon to know how messy the youngest is, leaving the door open for potential clashes between her and particular oldest down the road.
    --As they get older, grade school vs. middle/high school might have different bedtimes, so oldest might feel stifled with playing music, having friends over, etc
    --Oldest might feel like she got the shaft
    --Middle can potentially switch rooms to get her own/private bath, too, when oldest goes to college.
User avatar
Linoleum
Level 15
Level 15
 
Posts: 4972
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:14 am
Location: St. Louis
Wedding Date: Fall 2007

Re: New House!

Postby jennelled » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:15 am

Linoleum wrote:I think you should definitely give it to the oldest.


    --It's still awhile until any of them are in middle/high school (assuming you are even still in the same house by then, you never know).
    --You said the oldest is neater, so potentially she would do a better job of keeping it clean or eventually cleaning it herself sooner, so less work for you on 1 bathroom vs. 2.
    --May be too soon to know how messy the youngest is, leaving the door open for potential clashes between her and particular oldest down the road.
    --As they get older, grade school vs. middle/high school might have different bedtimes, so oldest might feel stifled with playing music, having friends over, etc
    --Oldest might feel like she got the shaft
    --Middle can potentially switch rooms to get her own/private bath, too, when oldest goes to college.

Yes, yes, yes!
Jennelle: wife to Matt 06.07.08, mom to Audrey Grace 02.05.12, Clara Rose 08.06.14, and Corinne Elise 09.24.17
Image Image Image
User avatar
jennelled
Level 19
Level 19
 
Posts: 14845
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:09 am
Wedding Date: Summer 2008

Re: New House!

Postby bride2009 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:49 am

Oldest I would assume, too.
Image
****************************
Image
bride2009
Level 13
Level 13
 
Posts: 2794
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:56 pm
Location: Southern, Illinois
Wedding Date: Spring 2009

Re: New House!

Postby k.linn » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:19 pm

Ditto! Oldest! Our oldest daughter has her own bathroom and the other 3 share. We did it based on age. Whenever we finish the basement M (oldest boy) will move down there and the two youngest will still share a bathroom.
Kim: wife to Phil (07.01.06) and Mama to Audrey, Micah, and Hadley.
Image Image Image
User avatar
k.linn
Level 15
Level 15
 
Posts: 5233
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:45 pm
Location: Wentzville
Wedding Date: Summer 2006

Re: New House!

Postby Steph1673 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:15 pm

jennelled wrote:
Linoleum wrote:I think you should definitely give it to the oldest.


    --It's still awhile until any of them are in middle/high school (assuming you are even still in the same house by then, you never know).
    --You said the oldest is neater, so potentially she would do a better job of keeping it clean or eventually cleaning it herself sooner, so less work for you on 1 bathroom vs. 2.
    --May be too soon to know how messy the youngest is, leaving the door open for potential clashes between her and particular oldest down the road.
    --As they get older, grade school vs. middle/high school might have different bedtimes, so oldest might feel stifled with playing music, having friends over, etc
    --Oldest might feel like she got the shaft
    --Middle can potentially switch rooms to get her own/private bath, too, when oldest goes to college.

Yes, yes, yes!


Oldest. All of this.
Image
Image
Steph & Dave ~ 11.08.08
Claire Elizabeth ~ 3.24.11
Theodore David ~ 7.14.15
User avatar
Steph1673
Level 14
Level 14
 
Posts: 3539
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:23 pm
Wedding Date: Fall 2008

Re: New House!

Postby durbaa » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:45 am

Oldest.

k.linn wrote:Ditto! Oldest! Our oldest daughter has her own bathroom and the other 3 share. We did it based on age. Whenever we finish the basement M (oldest boy) will move down there and the two youngest will still share a bathroom.


Off topic but how old will M be at that point? When we finish our basement we'll have a bedroom down there but I was trying to figure out an age I'd be comfortable with a kiddo down there. Problem is, it's hard to imagine at this point because H is only 18 months old lol.
~*Ashley*~

Image

http://gettinghitched.weebly.com My DIY bio...a work in progress

Image
User avatar
durbaa
Level 10
Level 10
 
Posts: 1380
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:10 pm
Location: Wentzville, Missouri
Wedding Date: Fall 2009

Re: New House!

Postby LizAnn » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:11 am

My friends recently moved and they let the kids pick their bedrooms in order of oldest to youngest. Kind of a fun idea! Maybe let them decide.

Also, my brother and I switched rooms SEVERAL times throughout elementary and middle school. We stopped in High School because we weren't home as much, but I wouldn't necessarily count on their room now being their permanent room.
Image
User avatar
LizAnn
Level 10
Level 10
 
Posts: 1020
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:57 pm
Wedding Date: Spring 2011

Re: New House!

Postby MrsNissen1 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:49 am

Oldest
chrissy_steve 6/23/07
ImageImage
ImageImage
MrsNissen1
Level 9
Level 9
 
Posts: 923
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:19 pm
Location: St. Louis
Wedding Date: Summer 2007

Re: New House!

Postby k.linn » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:08 pm

durbaa wrote:Oldest.

k.linn wrote:Ditto! Oldest! Our oldest daughter has her own bathroom and the other 3 share. We did it based on age. Whenever we finish the basement M (oldest boy) will move down there and the two youngest will still share a bathroom.


Off topic but how old will M be at that point? When we finish our basement we'll have a bedroom down there but I was trying to figure out an age I'd be comfortable with a kiddo down there. Problem is, it's hard to imagine at this point because H is only 18 months old lol.

Realistically, 10 or 11. I think he’d be fine being on a different floor than us now, but his sister, never! I’m guessing we have several years of room-sharing ahead of us. If baby is a girl, we’ll put her with H (2) and a boy, with M (6). My husband wants to put Audrey and Micah together (they have their own rooms but they choose to sleep together so they only use the bunk beds in Micah’s room anyway), but it just seems weird to officially put them (at 6 and 8) together so I haven’t considered that.
Kim: wife to Phil (07.01.06) and Mama to Audrey, Micah, and Hadley.
Image Image Image
User avatar
k.linn
Level 15
Level 15
 
Posts: 5233
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:45 pm
Location: Wentzville
Wedding Date: Summer 2006

Re: New House!

Postby Jennifer » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:14 pm

MrsNissen1 wrote:Oldest


Agree
Image
Jennifer
Level 8
Level 8
 
Posts: 579
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:01 pm
Wedding Date: Fall 2008


Disclaimer: The statements expressed in this forum are personal opinions and not necessarily those of the management of this board. Please remember that opinions are subjective, and your experience with any vendor or other entity may be different from the opinions you see listed here. View Terms of Use

Return to Life Goes On

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Mrs.Parrish2be and 16 guests