Chicken Noodle Soup (AWESOME for a lunch leftover as well)

Dinner (main courses: pot roast, lasagna etc.)

Chicken Noodle Soup (AWESOME for a lunch leftover as well)

Postby ame » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:35 pm

Chicken Noodle Soup

One Monster Can Chicken Broth 30ish oz I think? (I usually buy “Sweet Sue” brand at Dierbergs)

Two 15oz (small cans) chicken broth

¾ to 1 cup Chicken Soup Base (I like L.B. Jamisons, I get it at Schnucks and I believe Dierbergs also has)

2 cups water

1 whole rotisserie chicken, all meat removed and skin removed. Shredded up and cut up. Pitch the carcass and skin in the garbage.

1 1/2 celery hearts, chopped (I cut the bottom of the stalk thing off, and the leaves off, use most of the stalks)

1 whole large yellow onion

1 whole small yellow onion

2lbs baby carrots, cut up--however small you like them. I usually cut them in four pieces (you can also just get normal carrots, clean and chop to whatever size.)

1 large bag No Yolks Egg noodles, I buy dumpling size ( I think its 15oz)

1-2tbsp butter

1 tsp pepper

1/2 tsp salt

1 tsp paprika

1 tsp tarragon

1/2 tsp garlic powder

1 tbsp minced garlic (jar kind from the store, it has the oil)

Cut onion in quarters then cut slices. Toss into stock pot (at LEAST 8qt, bigger the better, I usually do in like a 16 or something quart), with butter and minced garlic. Saute til onions are almost clear and are soft and caramelized. Pour in seasonings, carrots, celery and broth, stir in half of soup base, and half of water. Stir well. Bring to a rolling boil and boil for about 30 minutes to soften veggies. Add in chicken, boil for another 20 minutes. Add remaining soup base and water. Tinker with soup base and water to taste. I have had batches where I’ve used less, and batches where I’ve used more, not exactly exact science. When veggies are soft to the chew, add bag of Egg Noodles and stir occasionally. Serve when noodles are soft. (around 20ish minutes or so for noodles to soften fully)

This makes a LOT of soup, several days of 2x a day meals. And it's fairly filling. I have only tried this in
the crock pot a few times, it works better in the stock pot I think, just because I can tinker with the flavor
easier.

BudgetFriendly, FreezerFriendly, KidFriendly, PreCook
Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular.
ame
Level 18
Level 18

Wedding Date: Summer 2005

Disclaimer: The statements expressed in this forum are personal opinions and not necessarily those of the management of this board. Please remember that opinions are subjective, and your experience with any vendor or other entity may be different from the opinions you see listed here. View Terms of Use

Return to Dinner