Ame's Meatloaf

Dinner (main courses: pot roast, lasagna etc.)

Ame's Meatloaf

Postby ame » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:26 pm

Ame's Meatloaf--with notes:

Ingredients with notes:
1 1lb pkg Perdue Ground Turkey (93-7, not breast)

~3/4 lb (approx) of lean ground beef (I usually buy the "organic" 93/7, or the 90/10 ground angus at Dierbergs. I have gone with the full 1lb a few times, and other times I'll just cut like a third of it off and use for something else. Not exact)

1 10oz package of shredded carrots (grimmway farms brand, I buy this on purpose, because I use the food processor and this is easier to grind/chop than buying them whole)

1 pkg celery hearts

1 whole large yellow vidalia onion, chopped to yield 3/4-1 cup chopped (can buy a bag of Ore-Ida frozen, use about 3/4-1cup chopped)

1/2 cup green pepper (to taste, I've been using about 3 oz lately)

2 eggs

1 5oz package of "texas toast" croutons, butter and garlic flavor

1 tbsp chopped garlic—I buy the kind in the jar from the store, it’s got the oil in it, and that seems to make a difference.

1/8 cup ketchup (Low-Sugar Heinz is what I use)

1/8 tsp pepper

1/4 tsp salt

1/8 tsp thyme

occasionally I use 1/8 tsp of tarragon

2-3 tbsp butter (optional)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Put meat into BIG mixing bowl. In Food Processor, put Croutons in food processor container and chop/
grind til broken down to bread crumb/panko consistency. Add to bowl with meat. Add seasonings to
meat bowl including garlic. Add shredded carrots to food processor container and chop/grind until into
tiny pieces but not puree'd or liquified. Add to bowl with meat. Cut down celery stalks after cleaning to
remove stumps, leaves, ends, and make smaller chunks to make more manageable for food processor.
Add to container and chop/grind into tiny pieces, but not puree'd or liquified. Add to bowl with meat.
Add onions and green peppers to bowl with meat. Add eggs and ketchup. Mix well to make sure all are
well blended. Form a loaf in a greased or lined 9x12 pyrex glass dish, the size actually allows more even
cooking. I make it slightly shallower loaf so it cooks slightly faster. Cut up 1 tbsp of butter, shove it into
the loaf edges so that they are not dry. Bake for about an hour to 90 minutes, checking at 40 minutes to
see if the middle is set up. Since I cut it down the middle, I often cube another tbsp of butter and shove
the little cubes in there to replenish any moisture that might come out from cutting. I have had to cook
some for 2 hours if I make them big enough. Since it's got turkey, done-ness is important.
When the middle is cooked and browned, it's ready. I try to make this kind of ahead of when we'll eat it
since it will reheat very well and it takes a while to make.

I serve with instant mashed potatoes and a salad.

BudgetFriendly, FreezerFriendly, KidFriendly, PreCook, Possibly LowFat, Possibly LowCal
Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular.
ame
Level 18
Level 18

Wedding Date: Summer 2005

Disclaimer: The statements expressed in this forum are personal opinions and not necessarily those of the management of this board. Please remember that opinions are subjective, and your experience with any vendor or other entity may be different from the opinions you see listed here. View Terms of Use

Return to Dinner