How do you plan for meals?

Share your favorite recipes here

How do you plan for meals?

Postby bride2009 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:11 pm

Do you have recipes printed? Cookbooks? App on your phone?
I just have such a hard time planning! I get anxiety thinking about what I'll make for supper!
On a whim, when I'm trying to come up with something, it is like I'm speechless! I can't do it. I need to get this under control! Fussy baby while trying to prepare supper doesn't help, either, I guess.
bride2009
Level 13
Level 13

Wedding Date: Spring 2009

Re: How do you plan for meals?

Postby jennelled » Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:42 am

I gather recipes from cookbooks, blogs, Pinterest, this board, etc. When I find one I like or want to try out, I save the recipe in Cozi. This keeps all of my recipes one place, and allows me to link back to the original.

I use the meal planning feature to just drag and drop whatever recipes I want to the various days, and you can "add to grocery list" based on the recipe. I don't usually use that function because it will add the ingredient list--so it will say "1/2 cup sour cream." I think that's annoying, and I may not need sour cream or perhaps I want to use Greek yogurt instead!

Once the meal plan is done for the week (we usually plan four to five meals), I head over to the shopping list feature and refer back to my meal plan. I've set up our shopping list with headers to make things easier to find--Household Items, Frozen, Produce, Dry Goods, etc.

I tend to plan the meals and do the shopping list on an actual computer, but you can do it from your phone, too. And for actual shopping, Matt and I both have the Cozi app so we just pull up the list and check things off as we go! That way we always know what we need if one of us has the time to stop by a store.

The meal plan includes links to the recipes, so if DH is starting dinner before I get home he can just log in, open the recipe, and print it out. We have a lot printed out, but we also make a lot of the same things over and over and don't necessarily need a recipe for all of them.
Jennelle: wife to Matt 06.07.08, mom to Audrey Grace 02.05.12, Clara Rose 08.06.14, and Corinne Elise 09.24.17
Image Image Image
jennelled
Level 19
Level 19

Wedding Date: Summer 2008

Postby tiffanyandtoddmay3108 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:14 am

I gather recipes from the places that Jennelle mentioned as well... I also have an emeals account and get recipes sent to me weekly. I usually plan out 5 to 6 meals a week sometime on wed/Thursday of the week before so I can go to the store before the weekend (either Wed if working from home or Thursday evenings or Friday mornings if I can't get there before then).

I have a dry erase calendar in the kitchen that I write the meals each day on and also a chalkboard that I write down things we need as we run out.

tiffanyandtoddmay3108
Level 13
Level 13

Wedding Date: Spring 2008

Postby mrs.shea » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:15 am

I use www.plantoeat.com I store recipes and make a shopping list. The app doesn't function as well as I'd like. I have to use he computer version to make the meal plan and shopping list because it just doesn't work right on the app. Otherwise I like it and the button to save recipes from websites is great. I've gotten bad about printing my weekly plan. I want to do a calendar to write on when I get my command center going.
ImageImage

ImageImage
mrs.shea
Level 17
Level 17

Wedding Date: Spring 2007

Postby ctab » Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:49 am

I like paprika for saving recipes I find online.

Right now I come up with a general plan, and then I adjust based on what we find at the farmers market (with the exception of milk and apple juice we shop pretty much at the farmers market and costco). With summer here we do a lot of grilling and salads.

If you are willing to try new things you might want to consider a menu planning service. I did fresh 20 when Michael was really little, and it helped not to have to think about it. It had a menus plan based on limited ingredients and came with a shopping list.
Colleen

Ambrose

Bernadette

Michael

Baby 4
ctab
Level 13
Level 13

Wedding Date: Spring 2008

Disclaimer: The statements expressed in this forum are personal opinions and not necessarily those of the management of this board. Please remember that opinions are subjective, and your experience with any vendor or other entity may be different from the opinions you see listed here. View Terms of Use

Return to What's Cooking