Sides for Mexican Food

Share your favorite recipes here

Sides for Mexican Food

Postby jennelled » Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:55 pm

We love Mexican food, and frequently make some variation. I'm always at a loss for sides, though. Maybe because I think of vegetables when it comes to sides, and I can't think of a way to Mexicanize them? It's all mental, I know, but it seems weird to eat, say, broccoli with a Mexican casserole. Or quesadillas. Or whatever. :| Rice seems like an unnecessary carb, beans are additional protein... I guess I really am looking for produce options. But what?!
Jennelle: wife to Matt 06.07.08, mom to Audrey Grace 02.05.12, Clara Rose 08.06.14, and Corinne Elise 09.24.17
Image Image Image
jennelled
Level 19
Level 19

Wedding Date: Summer 2008

Re: Sides for Mexican Food

Postby mrs.shea » Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:15 pm

We do corn/black beans a lot but usually that's with tacos and we put it on our tacos too. What about salad ? I make this in the summer http://www.mylifeasamrs.com/2012/07/sou ... rette.html. Or a mango salsa? I have a Cuban pork recipe that calls for a mango salsa but we eat it more as a side. It's just chopped mango, cilantro, chopped red onion and lime juice.
ImageImage

ImageImage
mrs.shea
Level 17
Level 17

Wedding Date: Spring 2007

Postby Stl08bride » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:09 pm

The veggies I associate with Mexican food are corn, peppers and tomatoes. Calabacitas is zucchini, corn, tomatoes, cilantro, onion and jalapenos. And maybe squash, I think. Just sauteed together. DH also made a slaw one time, with enchiladas. He put a cumin mango dressing on it.
ImageImage
Stl08bride
Level 15
Level 15

Wedding Date: Spring 2008

Postby mrs.shea » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:51 am

Stl08bride wrote:The veggies I associate with Mexican food are corn, peppers and tomatoes. Calabacitas is zucchini, corn, tomatoes, cilantro, onion and jalapenos. And maybe squash, I think. Just sauteed together. DH also made a slaw one time, with enchiladas. He put a cumin mango dressing on it.

I forgot we've made calabasitas before too. I used this recipe. http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/2 ... s.html?m=1. It was good.
ImageImage

ImageImage
mrs.shea
Level 17
Level 17

Wedding Date: Spring 2007

Disclaimer: The statements expressed in this forum are personal opinions and not necessarily those of the management of this board. Please remember that opinions are subjective, and your experience with any vendor or other entity may be different from the opinions you see listed here. View Terms of Use

Return to What's Cooking