Breakfast ideas

Share your favorite recipes here

Breakfast ideas

Postby MrsChad » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:57 pm

We are in a total breakfast rut. It seems like every morning is either pancakes with fruit, a green smoothie or yogurt. What do you feed your LOs in the morning and what do you eat for breakfast? I am finding that I am starving before lunch time rolls around.
Mindy
ImageImage
ImageImage
MrsChad
Level 16
Level 16

Wedding Date: Summer 2007

Re: Breakfast ideas

Postby Pamela41208 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:33 am

Eleanor loves eggs! Any type of omelette makes her happy. We've been doing a lot of oatmeal lately, too.
I like to picture Jesus in a tuxedo t-shirt. It says, "I want to be formal but I'm here to party."

Eleanor Elizabeth * September 29, 2010
end photos by Cheryl M Photography - center photo by me
Pamela41208
Level 16
Level 16

Wedding Date: Spring 2008

Postby LeMoNBaBy » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:00 am

We do very similar things each morning, but lately I have been enjoying these muffins- no sugar, flour, oil, butter...and I use raisins instead of chocolate chips.

http://greenlitebites.com/2009/03/07/ba ... ate-chips/

We also do a snack about 10/10:30, I always need a snack of some sort to make it to lunch.
LeMoNBaBy
Level 15
Level 15

Wedding Date: Fall 2008

Postby mshrdlicka » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:26 am

I just tried Sara's recipe for baked oatmeal (posted in the Breakfast forum). It was delicious! And filling!

Maureen and Phil ~ 11-29-08
Kieran Robert ~ 7-26-11
Patrick Lennon ~ 12-11-13
Brendan Lyle ~ 12-11-13
mshrdlicka
Level 11
Level 11

Wedding Date: Fall 2008

Postby jennelled » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:48 am

I get in ruts for Audrey food, too. :(

During the week I eat breakfast at my desk, and I eat a packet of apples and cinnamon oatmeal {Rachael Ray's is the "cleanest" I've found}, a banana, and a sprinkling of dried cranberries. Audrey usually has Greek yogurt or cottage cheese for breakfast. Sometimes I add fresh fruit, or this week we had extra pancakes that I also sent. One day she had six ounces of milk, 1/2 cup cottage cheese, and two pancakes!! :shock:

On the weekends, we tend to make scrambled eggs and bacon, and usually add in toast with jelly or whole wheat pancakes. Last weekend I added cinnamon and a pear that was on it's last leg. In the fall, I love to add a little pumpkin and pumpkin pie spice. Really, you can add anything to a pancake! I freeze any extras.

At home we'll also make steel cut oats. Yum, yum! I still like to add my banana and cranberries, but will also sometimes add honey and cinnamon, too.
Jennelle: wife to Matt 06.07.08, mom to Audrey Grace 02.05.12, Clara Rose 08.06.14, and Corinne Elise 09.24.17
Image Image Image
jennelled
Level 19
Level 19

Wedding Date: Summer 2008

Postby mrs.shea » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:10 am

mshrdlicka wrote:I just tried Sara's recipe for baked oatmeal (posted in the Breakfast forum). It was delicious! And filling!

Ooooh...mmmm...I was just thinking I haven't made this in a while and need to make it myself! The pumpkin one is really good too...not sure if I posted that one. And I love this apple cinnamon one too - it's especially yummy but takes a bit more prep time for soaking the steel cut oats. These are really handy to have around for easy/quick/filling breakfasts!

I used to make these breakfast cookies quite a bit and they're good/filling. You'd have to use gluten free flour since I know you're doing gluten free but I think it'd be a good recipe to try that with...they're pretty dense anyway. Oh, and I never used carrot baby food like it called for because it seemed silly to buy that. I just used canned pumpkin.

I've been wanting to try breakfast quinoa for a while but just haven't gotten around to it.

I've had this breakfast bake recipe saved for a while but not sure what you could replace the shredded wheat with for gluten free.

Now I think I'm in the mood to make something yummy for breakfast this weekend! :)
ImageImage

ImageImage
mrs.shea
Level 17
Level 17

Wedding Date: Spring 2007

Postby bride2009 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:59 am

I still get the Parenting magazine and they had a quick and easy recipe for a Quiche. I've never made them before but I think I'm going to try since it does seem so easy!

Well, I couldn't find the recipe online from Parenting.com so this weekend I'll get the recipe and post it on here. I know it was eggs (obviously) half and half and then they had different "add-ins" like cheddar and broccoli, or spinach, onion and sausage....

Eta: Okay, I have the recipe!

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a bowl, whisk 4 eggs, 2 cups of half-&-half, a pinch of salt and pepper. Add fillings then divide the mixture evenly in a greased muffin tin (or use baking cups). Bake for 20mins, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Add ins-1) steamed broccoli, cheese, and cooked brown rice. 2) thawed hash browns, diced ham, cheese. 3) diced cooked potatoes, cheese. 4) peas, diced ham, cheese. 5) cooked bacon/ sausage, corn, sauted onion, and spinach.

I'm sure you can add whatever your want but those were the listed add-ins.
Last edited by bride2009 on Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
bride2009
Level 13
Level 13

Wedding Date: Spring 2009

Postby bllr29 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:10 am

The website undressedskeleton.com (don't let the name freak you out! :)) has TONS of breakfast and healthy pancake recipes.

My go to breakfast lately has been pumpkin pancakes:
2 egg whites
1/3 cup oatmeal
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tbls pumpkin puree
3-4 tsp milk

Blend it up and makes a good amount of pancakes for one serving, I usually make 8 "mini" ones. Healthy and yummy! My husband got up to make these for me last weekend, and they totally tasted off and were super thin - he put in 3-4 CUPS of milk instead of tablespoons. LOL
bllr29
Level 6
Level 6

Wedding Date: Summer 2009

Postby lurinmichelle » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:33 pm

I like to make Mini Vegetable Frittatas & Baked Oatmeal. I make both in my mini muffin tin, because I can get Liam to eat it easier if it's mini ;). Plus they are both very easily customized to use whatever you have on hand. I also like to make a breakfast pizza sometimes on the weekend. I usually just do crescent rolls rolled out in a single layer as the crust, and then add some whisked eggs & milk, cheese, some sort of protein, and some spices. Easy!
lurinmichelle
Level 10
Level 10

Wedding Date: Spring 2010

Postby lovemyweenies » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:13 pm

Our consistent items are eggs, yogurt, fresh fruit, overnight oatmeal in the crock pot.
ImageImageImage

Image Image
lovemyweenies
Level 14
Level 14

Wedding Date: Summer 2008

Postby MrsChad » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:57 am

Great ideas! I'm thinking I need to make a few different items and get them put into the freezer.

mrs.shea wrote:
I used to make these breakfast cookies quite a bit and they're good/filling. You'd have to use gluten free flour since I know you're doing gluten free but I think it'd be a good recipe to try that with...they're pretty dense anyway. Oh, and I never used carrot baby food like it called for because it seemed silly to buy that. I just used canned pumpkin.

I've had this breakfast bake recipe saved for a while but not sure what you could replace the shredded wheat with for gluten free.

Charlotte is gluten free, but DH and I aren't (unless she is around hehe). I may have to make those with her crazy expensive flour and then some for me as well. :)
Mindy
ImageImage
ImageImage
MrsChad
Level 16
Level 16

Wedding Date: Summer 2007

Postby Stl08bride » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:33 pm

Besides what's been mentioned, in our rotation is french toast sticks, dipped in honey, egg in a hole, granola and greek yogurt, fruit salad with nuts, Morning Star sausage, hard boiled egg and cheese slices, cereal, homemade pop tarts, and bacon, egg and cheese biscuits.

I just made Spaghetti Squash Hash Browns two weekends ago and they were great.

This Ham-Asparagus and Cheese Strata is really great, too.
ImageImage
Stl08bride
Level 15
Level 15

Wedding Date: Spring 2008

Postby november2 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:56 pm

http://www.multiplydelicious.com/thefoo ... nach-hash/

I've been eating this all week. It makes a lot... Almost better left over. Its different and yummy!
november2
Level 10
Level 10

Wedding Date: Fall 2007

Disclaimer: The statements expressed in this forum are personal opinions and not necessarily those of the management of this board. Please remember that opinions are subjective, and your experience with any vendor or other entity may be different from the opinions you see listed here. View Terms of Use

Return to What's Cooking