If You Could Do it Again...

A place for St. Louis Brides & Grooms to brainstorm about their weddings

If You Could Do it Again...

Postby Phlpns314JLF » Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:34 am

So with the advent of Pinterest, there are a lot of ideas I wish I had known about when I was planning my wedding 7-9 years ago (we had a 2 yr long engagement). Is there anything you've seen that you wish you could have included?

ETA: I realize that I haven't answered my own question... I'm at work and haven't thought to look up the link for what I found when I'm at home. Only when I'm bored on my plan time! LOL
Last edited by Phlpns314JLF on Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
J.L.F. + J.W.H.

_~*My Blog*~_

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wXCfO71/]
[/url]
Phlpns314JLF
Level 15
Level 15

Wedding Date: Spring 2009

Re: If You Could Do it Again...

Postby jennelled » Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:44 am

Ha ha ha...If I could do it again, I'd elope. Okay, maybe not elope - but I'd have a way smaller wedding. It was a wonderful day, but what matters is our marriage!
Jennelle: wife to Matt 06.07.08, mom to Audrey Grace 02.05.12, Clara Rose 08.06.14, and Corinne Elise 09.24.17
Image Image Image
jennelled
Level 19
Level 19

Wedding Date: Summer 2008

Postby Clover315 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:20 pm

Agree, I would spend a lot less money even though I was budget conscience to begin with. Also, I would have found some way to be able to afford the walls for the World's Fair Pavilion - it was cold and windy on my wedding night.
Clover315
Level 8
Level 8

Wedding Date: Fall 2010

Postby meps413 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:52 pm

Not necessarily something I would've done differently, but something I wish had gone differently... My dress.
It arrived way late. As in, the day before my rehearsal dinner. So, I only had one fitting, and i had to go by myself. The dress arrived on Wednesday, I headed to the shop as soon as the delivery truck unloaded it, and took it to alterations. The next day, Thursday, I got to put it on for just a minute, but had to rush to make it to the rehearsal. I picked it up Friday, got married in it on Saturday. So I see a few things on it I wouldve changed, if there had been time for a second fitting, though I'm sure they are only visible to me. But the more important thing is that I had said "it's just a dress" to so many people who were panicking over the fact that the dress hadn't arrived yet, by the time i finally got it...it was just a dress.
Mary & Martin 9.25.2010

meps413
Level 10
Level 10

Wedding Date: Fall 2010

Postby mrs.shea » Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:33 pm

meps413 wrote:Not necessarily something I would've done differently, but something I wish had gone differently... My dress.
It arrived way late. As in, the day before my rehearsal dinner. So, I only had one fitting, and i had to go by myself. The dress arrived on Wednesday, I headed to the shop as soon as the delivery truck unloaded it, and took it to alterations. The next day, Thursday, I got to put it on for just a minute, but had to rush to make it to the rehearsal. I picked it up Friday, got married in it on Saturday. So I see a few things on it I wouldve changed, if there had been time for a second fitting, though I'm sure they are only visible to me. But the more important thing is that I had said "it's just a dress" to so many people who were panicking over the fact that the dress hadn't arrived yet, by the time i finally got it...it was just a dress.

I would have gone for a second fitting too. I dropped weight after my first and my corset back was cinched all the way together on wedding day and my mom still had to pin some places too. :shock: Really the person at the dress shop should have had me order a smaller size to begin with for corset back but whatever.

To OP - I don't think Pinterest makes me want to change anything. I have always wished we would have waited till Fall because that's my favorite season and love those colors. I guess we didn't want to wait that long. Lol.
ImageImage

ImageImage
mrs.shea
Level 17
Level 17

Wedding Date: Spring 2007

Postby durbaa » Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:02 pm

Nothing from Pinterest.

But I would have picked a different photographer, you know one that would have actually given us our pictures. :angry2: And the girl who I originally asked to be my MOH, I wouldn't have asked to be in the wedding at all. She didn't bother to show up (actually she didn't even bother to let me know she wasn't coming...I heard from her a year later) so it wouldn't have mattered to her. :aggressive: The only satisfaction I get out of that whole ordeal is the fact that she paid money for the dress and paid money to fly in. Ugh.
~*Ashley*~

http://gettinghitched.weebly.com My DIY bio...a work in progress

durbaa
Level 10
Level 10

Wedding Date: Fall 2009

Postby mrs.shea » Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:58 pm

durbaa wrote:Nothing from Pinterest.

But I would have picked a different photographer, you know one that would have actually given us our pictures. :angry2: And the girl who I originally asked to be my MOH, I wouldn't have asked to be in the wedding at all. She didn't bother to show up (actually she didn't even bother to let me know she wasn't coming...I heard from her a year later) so it wouldn't have mattered to her. :aggressive: The only satisfaction I get out of that whole ordeal is the fact that she paid money for the dress and paid money to fly in. Ugh.

Wait...your MOH didn't show up on wedding day?

And wasn't there something about your photographer awhile back? Never got anywhere? I may it be remembering that right. That would be so sad to never get your pictures. :cry:
ImageImage

ImageImage
mrs.shea
Level 17
Level 17

Postby durbaa » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:41 am

mrs.shea wrote:

And wasn't there something about your photographer awhile back? Never got anywhere? I may it be remembering that right. That would be so sad to never get your pictures. :cry:

Well I asked her to be my MOH and then realized a while later sh*t was hitting the fan in her life (due to poor choices on her part). I started to get really uncomfortable with some of the stuff and started realizing she really only cared about the parties (like she made sure to make it to the bachelorette party but not dress fittings/showers etc.). I ended up asking her to be a bridesmaid and no longer the MOH because I had a feeling she wouldn't show (and I realized I should have picked the other person first to begin with). Her response was, I was waiting for this, surprised it took you this long. :nea: Actually my DH and I fought about this because he didn't think it was right, he thought there was no way she would skip out (he later apologized when he realized I was right lol). She showed up to the rehearsal so I started thinking that I was wrong about her. The morning of the wedding we had hairdressers over at my mom's house and all the bridesmaids met there to get their hair done. She wasn't showing so a few of us called her a couple times and she never answered, so I knew then she wasn't showing and she didn't. I was more mad that she bothered to show up to the rehearsal, because that meant I was left scrambling 30 minutes before I walked down the aisle to rearrange who was walking with who, had she just skipped the rehearsal I would have rearranged then. :aggressive:

Yeah she just closed her business and never gave a lot of brides any of their pics. I checked her out well before we booked her, she had a great rating with the BBC and everywhere else I looked people liked her work and so did I. Her BBC rating didn't tank until a few months after our wedding. The attorney general actually went after her but it didn't get any of us anywhere. In fact, I was sort of disgusted by all that because Missouri fined her in the whole mess, so they made sure to get money out of her but the rest of us are out of luck (and I told them as much ha!). Then a couple years ago her landlord found tons of wedding discs in the house they kicked her out of. Unfortunately we weren't one of those people. :cry:
~*Ashley*~

durbaa
Level 10
Level 10

Postby mrs.shea » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:11 am

durbaa wrote:
mrs.shea wrote:

Well I asked her to be my MOH and then realized a while later sh*t was hitting the fan in her life (due to poor choices on her part). I started to get really uncomfortable with some of the stuff and started realizing she really only cared about the parties (like she made sure to make it to the bachelorette party but not dress fittings/showers etc.). I ended up asking her to be a bridesmaid and no longer the MOH because I had a feeling she wouldn't show (and I realized I should have picked the other person first to begin with). Her response was, I was waiting for this, surprised it took you this long. :nea: Actually my DH and I fought about this because he didn't think it was right, he thought there was no way she would skip out (he later apologized when he realized I was right lol). She showed up to the rehearsal so I started thinking that I was wrong about her. The morning of the wedding we had hairdressers over at my mom's house and all the bridesmaids met there to get their hair done. She wasn't showing so a few of us called her a couple times and she never answered, so I knew then she wasn't showing and she didn't. I was more mad that she bothered to show up to the rehearsal, because that meant I was left scrambling 30 minutes before I walked down the aisle to rearrange who was walking with who, had she just skipped the rehearsal I would have rearranged then. :aggressive:

Yeah she just closed her business and never gave a lot of brides any of their pics. I checked her out well before we booked her, she had a great rating with the BBC and everywhere else I looked people liked her work and so did I. Her BBC rating didn't tank until a few months after our wedding. The attorney general actually went after her but it didn't get any of us anywhere. In fact, I was sort of disgusted by all that because Missouri fined her in the whole mess, so they made sure to get money out of her but the rest of us are out of luck (and I told them as much ha!). Then a couple years ago her landlord found tons of wedding discs in the house they kicked her out of. Unfortunately we weren't one of those people. :cry:

That's sad! My MOH didn't do anything but come to the wedding. Not even a speech at the reception. :( Oh well. I pretty much had a MOH just to have one...we should have just skipped attendants.

I was remembering the landlord story with your photographer. I wish your pictures would have been there!!!
ImageImage

ImageImage
mrs.shea
Level 17
Level 17

Postby durbaa » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:38 am

mrs.shea wrote:
durbaa wrote:
mrs.shea wrote:

That's sad! My MOH didn't do anything but come to the wedding. Not even a speech at the reception. :( Oh well. I pretty much had a MOH just to have one...we should have just skipped attendants.

I was remembering the landlord story with your photographer. I wish your pictures would have been there!!!

Oh man, that stinks! I was happy I switched mine, the MOH I had was amazing. The original girl I asked had been my best friend for years, so the whole situation just sucked. But it is what it is.

You and me both!!
~*Ashley*~

durbaa
Level 10
Level 10

Postby MelJim05 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:21 am

I would gotten a different dj. :angry2:

Ashley, all i have to say is wow.

Kylie 10-26-06
Kamryn 2-10-12
MelJim05
Level 6
Level 6

Wedding Date: Spring 2005

Postby arfive35 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:42 pm

I'm sitting here trying to think of things we would change, and honestly I don't think we would change a thing. Nothing bad happened and I was pleased with everything.
arfive35
Level 15
Level 15

Wedding Date: Fall 2008

Postby lovemyweenies » Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:40 pm

I'd have the wedding I wanted from the beginning and not have been railroaded by DH's family's expectations. That sound harsh, but it's true. I conceded on just about everything. Don't get me wrong, my wedding was beautiful and everyone had a good time, but it wasn't what I wanted at all. It was a traditional, large, Italian style wedding. I wanted a small (100 people or less) event with a late morning wedding and afternoon "cake and punch" reception. Simple. Cheap. My parents couldn't afford the wedding we had. I never should have asked it of them and DH's parents didn't help at all (except to pay for the alcohol that only they drank). I would have taken the money my parents set aside for the wedding and used it elsewhere. I sometimes say I would have eloped, but I think that's wrong. I think I'd still want the wedding, just not like it was. It still feels so wasteful. Especially since I didn't really have that good of a time.
ImageImageImage

Image Image
lovemyweenies
Level 14
Level 14

Wedding Date: Summer 2008

Postby mrs.shea » Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:58 pm

lovemyweenies wrote:I'd have the wedding I wanted from the beginning and not have been railroaded by DH's family's expectations. That sound harsh, but it's true. I conceded on just about everything. Don't get me wrong, my wedding was beautiful and everyone had a good time, but it wasn't what I wanted at all. It was a traditional, large, Italian style wedding. I wanted a small (100 people or less) event with a late morning wedding and afternoon "cake and punch" reception. Simple. Cheap. My parents couldn't afford the wedding we had. I never should have asked it of them and DH's parents didn't help at all (except to pay for the alcohol that only they drank). I would have taken the money my parents set aside for the wedding and used it elsewhere. I sometimes say I would have eloped, but I think that's wrong. I think I'd still want the wedding, just not like it was. It still feels so wasteful. Especially since I didn't really have that good of a time.

:sad11:
ImageImage

ImageImage
mrs.shea
Level 17
Level 17

Postby 2BBlue » Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:19 pm

jennelled wrote:Ha ha ha...If I could do it again, I'd elope. Okay, maybe not elope - but I'd have a way smaller wedding. It was a wonderful day, but what matters is our marriage!

This. We started out planning a big wedding, but changed our minds quickly, especially after the move. I regret NOTHING. I loved our tiny, windy, almost rained-on wedding on the Seigenthaler bridge. Just me, DH, the officiant and his wife, and nothing we didn't want. No attendants, no opinions. Perfection.
Sofia & Jack
November 28, 2008
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight." ~ Emily, "The Devil Wears Prada"
2BBlue
Level 11
Level 11

Wedding Date: Fall 2008

Postby Mary K » Mon May 02, 2016 10:12 am

I can't even imagine!

My poor MOH didn't come to the rehearsal because she had strep throat, but she still made it to the wedding.

When DH's parents got married the bridesmaids got into a car accident on the way to church and one died, the others were injured. That would be a nightmare. :sad11:

I probably would've changed my dress. I was torn between 2 and I keep thinking I should've gone with the other one since mine ended up not fitting all that well even after 3 visits for alterations. Otherwise, I would've liked to keep thinks a little more simple. We had a lot of family drama that just didn't need to happen and if we had put our foot down it may have nipped some of it in the bud from the get go, but we were trying to make everyone happy.
Image Image
Mary K
Level 13
Level 13

Postby durbaa » Tue May 03, 2016 1:12 pm

Mary K wrote:

I can't even imagine!

When DH's parents got married the bridesmaids got into a car accident on the way to church and one died, the others were injured. That would be a nightmare. :sad11:

That is terrible!!!
~*Ashley*~

durbaa
Level 10
Level 10

Postby MrsChad » Sun May 15, 2016 10:44 pm

I would change a lot, but not really anything from Pinterest. My dream wedding was a very small outdoor wedding/reception at the same location in the morning with lots of creamy pastel flowers all over the place. We wouldn't have had any attendants and I would have walked in with Chad, not my dad. Had we cut all the extras that came with the bigger wedding, I could have afforded my dream dress and lace veil as well as a better photographer. I'd also change the florist and the photographer I used.
Mindy
ImageImage
ImageImage
MrsChad
Level 16
Level 16

Wedding Date: Summer 2007

Disclaimer: The statements expressed in this forum are personal opinions and not necessarily those of the management of this board. Please remember that opinions are subjective, and your experience with any vendor or other entity may be different from the opinions you see listed here. View Terms of Use

Return to General Wedding Talk