Maid of Honor vs. Matron of Honor

A place for St. Louis Brides & Grooms to brainstorm about their weddings

Maid of Honor vs. Matron of Honor

Postby jnj13 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:01 pm

First off, other than marriage status, is there a difference in duties? I am the Matron of Honor in SIL's wedding and her best friend is the Maid of Honor. I don't want to step on the other ones toes, so i am not really sure what i should do and what she should do. Also, do we both give speeches? I have been the maid of honor three times so far and it was easier because I could do what I wanted and now I have to always check with the other one first. I think it would be easier if we both just took charge of certain things and the other can help when needed. :dontknow:
AKA jessbride08
Josh & Jessica~09.13.08
Olivia Ceili~08.23.06
Jacob Earl~09.21.10
Luke Jackson~07.08.14
jnj13
Level 11
Level 11

Wedding Date: Fall 2008

Re: Maid of Honor vs. Matron of Honor

Postby AES0505 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:29 am

I don't think there is a difference in duties. I was a bridesmaid in a wedding with both a Maid and Matron of Honor. They both gave speeches at the reception. And for various "duties" (showers etc) they divided and conquered!
AES0505
Level 4
Level 4

Wedding Date: Summer 2010

Re: Maid of Honor vs. Matron of Honor

Postby amalama » Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:36 pm

I had both (my sisters), and they didn't really divide anything up based on title, it was more just naturally what they would do (which was easy since they are related and knew each other). I would just talk to the other one and ask how she wants to do it, maybe one of you take the lead on the shower and the other on bachelorette? My sisters also gave a speech together, but again that made sense for us, doesn't really for you if you don't know the other one. I would ask the bride what she's thinking for that one.
amalama
Level 5
Level 5

Wedding Date: Summer 2013

Disclaimer: The statements expressed in this forum are personal opinions and not necessarily those of the management of this board. Please remember that opinions are subjective, and your experience with any vendor or other entity may be different from the opinions you see listed here. View Terms of Use

Return to General Wedding Talk