Manning the Music

A place for St. Louis Brides & Grooms to brainstorm about their weddings

Manning the Music

Postby Phlpns314JLF » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:15 pm

A friend of mine asked me to man a computer at her reception with the music. Not DJ, per se, because her venue will handle all the announcements, but just make sure music is going all the time, handle requests, etc. I will also probably be taping the ceremony on a video camera. She has told me to name my price. What would you think is fair in this circumstance?
J.L.F. + J.W.H.

_~*My Blog*~_

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wXCfO71/]
[/url]
Phlpns314JLF
Level 15
Level 15

Wedding Date: Spring 2009

Re: Manning the Music

Postby AshleyH » Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:44 am

Hmm- well, it's a friend, right? Would you otherwise be invited to the wedding? If that's the case, I'd just say it's my gift- but it's not like you'll actually be able to party at the reception or anything.

I guess what I would do is figure out what you think is a fair hourly rate- maybe what you charge for babysitting? And then figure out how many hours you'd be working and base your rate on that. I hate when people say name your price- just tell me what you'll pay and I'll decide if it's worth it!
AshleyH
Level 12
Level 12

Wedding Date: Summer 2014

Postby Phlpns314JLF » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:34 am

AshleyR wrote:Hmm- well, it's a friend, right? Would you otherwise be invited to the wedding? If that's the case, I'd just say it's my gift- but it's not like you'll actually be able to party at the reception or anything.

I guess what I would do is figure out what you think is a fair hourly rate- maybe what you charge for babysitting? And then figure out how many hours you'd be working and base your rate on that. I hate when people say name your price- just tell me what you'll pay and I'll decide if it's worth it!

Well, I'm more friends with her mother because we go to church together and the bride lives in CA. THey're keeping the wedding small, just family and close friends, so I wouldn't be invited otherwise.

I was thinking $80-100 because it's also quite a trek (Outlook Farms in Clarksville).
J.L.F. + J.W.H.

_~*My Blog*~_

[/url]
Phlpns314JLF
Level 15
Level 15

Postby mshrdlicka » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:04 am

Phlpns314JLF wrote:
AshleyR wrote:Hmm- well, it's a friend, right? Would you otherwise be invited to the wedding? If that's the case, I'd just say it's my gift- but it's not like you'll actually be able to party at the reception or anything.

Well, I'm more friends with her mother because we go to church together and the bride lives in CA. THey're keeping the wedding small, just family and close friends, so I wouldn't be invited otherwise.

I was thinking $80-100 because it's also quite a trek (Outlook Farms in Clarksville).

I'd definitely charge enough to cover your gas and then maybe an hourly rate? Do you have to provide the music?

Maureen and Phil ~ 11-29-08
Kieran Robert ~ 7-26-11
Patrick Lennon ~ 12-11-13
Brendan Lyle ~ 12-11-13
mshrdlicka
Level 11
Level 11

Wedding Date: Fall 2008

Postby Phlpns314JLF » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:01 pm

mshrdlicka wrote:
Phlpns314JLF wrote:

I'd definitely charge enough to cover your gas and then maybe an hourly rate? Do you have to provide the music?

Kiiiiind of? I'm using my Google Music subscription.
J.L.F. + J.W.H.

_~*My Blog*~_

[/url]
Phlpns314JLF
Level 15
Level 15

Disclaimer: The statements expressed in this forum are personal opinions and not necessarily those of the management of this board. Please remember that opinions are subjective, and your experience with any vendor or other entity may be different from the opinions you see listed here. View Terms of Use

Return to General Wedding Talk