Tips for future brides...

A place for St. Louis Brides & Grooms to brainstorm about their weddings

Tips for future brides...

Postby baseballbride » Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:27 pm

Having been married a few days now, I have had a chance to look back at what we did and think about the good and maybe not so good choices we made about planning the wedding. I thought it may be fun for former brides to share thoughts and words of wisdom with those who are still in the planning process.

I was sooo happy that we:

1- Had hair/make-up people come to my mom's house. It was so relaxing and made the day even more memorable.
2- Stayed at our house the night of the wedding. Sounds boring, but we were exhausted and it was nice to just wake up in our own house.
3- Had a PhotoBooth- It was a great entertainment for that night and fun to look at later.
4- Hired a DOC
5- Used Craigslist- I found awesome vendors on there. It sounds crazy, but I had great luck with each of them.

If we had to do it again:
1- I would have had a full open bar to avoid any possible mix-ups with the bartenders like we did
2- I woud have not given the roses to the moms during the ceremony. I thought it was kind of cheesy and I would have rather just stood their and chatted quietly with DH.
baseballbride
Level 8
Level 8

Wedding Date: Fall 2008

Re: Tips for future brides...

Postby redroses » Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:33 pm

In retrospect, I wish I had done your #1 for your glad you did list. It would have been more relaxed and more fun.
-Lisa

[url=http://lilypie.com]Image

[url=https://lilypie.com]Image
redroses
Level 15
Level 15

Postby LMC2008 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:42 am

I wish I would have given my photographer more specific pictures to take. I have a feeling that there aren't many pictures out of reception decor.

Lauren & Mike- August 31, 2008
Ethan Michael- May 14, 2011
William Michael- February 17, 2014
LMC2008
Level 18
Level 18

Wedding Date: Summer 2008

Postby lladybuggz » Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:42 am

Glad I did:
Didn't care about having the "perfect" wedding and concentrated on having the most "fun" wedding
Danced the night away!!!!
Had a receiving line at the last minute
Had a sweetheart table

What I would change:
Given photographer and more specific list of must haves and not assumed he would get all the "details" - our wedding rings weren't photographed.
Been more selfish and allowed more time for pictures between ceremony and reception and not worried about "what guests would do"
Had a back of plan of who would say grace if the PRIEST DIDN'T SHOW at the reception
Spending too much on a photographer for pictures that I don't feel matched the price
Given more time to "getting ready" photos than reception photos (who wants to see millions of people dancing!?)
"Every flower grows through dirt"
lladybuggz
Level 9
Level 9

Postby MissW2BMrsA » Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:46 am

LMC2008 wrote:I wish I would have given my photographer more specific pictures to take. I have a feeling that there aren't many pictures out of reception decor.

I'm so glad to hear this Lauren. I already have a page of "must takes" generated for my photographer! (Including some GREAT ideas I got from your wedding!!) ;) ;)
Mary & Lou 7-18-09
Elizabeth Kate 6-29-13
William Louis 3-24-16
MissW2BMrsA
Level 14
Level 14

Wedding Date: Summer 2009

Postby sarahenn » Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:36 am

- i am SO thankful we decided to do the receiving line after the wedding.... it allowed for more dancing at the reception, since DH and I didn't feel obliged to go around and spend 10 minutes at each of the reception tables. thus we were able to focus on fun :)

- i'm also glad we didn't spend money on favors but, instead, invested in a 5th hour of open bar at the reception.

- i'm glad we allowed significant others, spouses and dates to go with the bridal party on the bus in between ceremony and reception.

i wish we...
- would have given our photographers ideas of a few set shots we would have wanted, too. they captured a LOT of good stuff, but looking back, i feel like there is a lot of the same posing and such going on.

- I ALSO WISH I would have done something to give my skin a little color - in all my photos, i feel like i look so PALE!
sarahenn
Level 13
Level 13

Postby 101808 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:46 am

So happy we....
1. Hired a DOC
2. Took dance lessons...the first dance was so fun and everyone was cheering for us
3. Danced the whole night and didnt drink too much
4. Had the entire wedding party + dates on the limo bus
5. Had a grand exit with sparklers. It was so pretty and so exciting!

Wished we had...
1. Give photographer a list of must take photos...I havent seen the photos yet, but I'm not sure if they got the reception hall decor, our rings alone, a pic with my veil over us, etc.
2. More red wine...we ran out and had to get more!
3. Had time to do a receiving line...the timing just didnt work, but it was really hard to get to all the tables
~Lindsay & Mike~

Level 13
Level 13

Postby junebride » Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:22 am

This is great! I wonder if we can make this a sticky? It makes you think....
junebride
Level 9
Level 9

Postby amyrose » Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:48 am

Keep the tips coming ladies! This is the stuff I need to know!
\
amyrose
Level 6
Level 6

Wedding Date: Spring 2009

Postby baseballbride » Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:10 pm

One more I thought of..

We did assigned tables, and I recommed doing it if you are on the fence. It really did not take us that long to do, and guests were grateful that they were seated with people they knew or had something in common with.
baseballbride
Level 8
Level 8

Postby sarahenn » Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:42 pm

oh i thought of one more thing, too.
i am glad we didn't spend much money on printing invites (and all components such as map card, reception rsvp and envelopes), church programs or thank you cards.

although it's pretty cool when you receive an elaborate, fancy and time-consuming invite, it's nice... but they end up in the trash, let's face it. there are probably only a handful of people who will keep your invite as a reminder (parents, grandparents, etc)...

and i'm glad we spent our money elsewhere. there are a lot of great printers in the STL area who can do some pretty impressive things for CHEAP... so if you're on the fence about splurging on printed stuff, i'd encourage you to go simple and apply the remaining dollars elsewhere, like in a better photography package or gifts for your bridal party.
sarahenn
Level 13
Level 13

Postby happeejen » Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:09 pm

I would have made a must-take picture list... We had a friend do our photography and I felt like I was the one directing all the pictures which is why I think I a lot of things were missed (b/c no matter what you think, you won't have the clearest head after the ceremony) I also would have somehow allowed more time for picture taking... oh and I would have let my aunt or FG's mom to pick out the dress instead of me... I would have also clarified my flower order... I would have also drank a little more at the reception (both water AND alcohol)

I'm really glad we spent our money the way we did... we saved money were we could and splurged where we wanted to too (like on favors, but totally worth it IMO) I'm also glad we added the extra time for the reception so I could have fun and mingle. I'm really glad I put the time into DIY projects. I'm also really happy I didn't stress over bad weather at all... b/c it ended up working out... I'm sure there is way more but I can't think right now
happeejen
Level 8
Level 8

Postby redroses » Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:11 pm

ok, got more:

I wish we would have:
-given photos of what I wanted to the florist (for the cake topper, other stuff was what I pictured)
-gotten things done sooner so I wasn't such a crazy mess the few weeks and days before the wedding
-pinned the guys' pocketsquares or looked at it before day of (we made them and the tux pocket was not an actual pocket so they kept slipping)

I am glad we:
-had guests' photo taken to put later with our guestbook. We had an extra photographer that had a photo station set up. Guests got their picture taken and then signed a page that I will later put their picture on. It's just nice to be able to look back at who was there. We'll also send guests a copy of their own picture in the thank-you notes.
-made the rounds to each table. It means a lot to people to have at least a moment with you. Having a sweetheart table helped for this cause we got served first and were free to get up and see tables when we finished before others. We kept it really quick at each table and were done by the dances.
-did church and family photos before the service so we could go straight to the bus and have fun when wedding was over.
-did a growing up and together slideshow for the rehearsal (it was a pain in the *ss getting all the older photos scanned, but worth it.)
-Lisa

redroses
Level 15
Level 15

Postby happeejen » Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:36 pm

I came up with one other things I'm really happy I did... I got my teeth professionally whitened... I have my dad's teeth which isn't a good thing... and I'm soooo sooo happy I was able to smile and not worry about my teeth... it was totally worth the money and pain.
happeejen
Level 8
Level 8

Postby umsldz » Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:53 pm

redroses wrote:I am glad we:
-had guests' photo taken to put later with our guestbook. We had an extra photographer that had a photo station set up. Guests got their picture taken and then signed a page that I will later put their picture on. It's just nice to be able to look back at who was there. We'll also send guests a copy of their own picture in the thank-you notes.

That's a great idea, I would've never thought of that!

Angie & Steve
umsldz
Level 10
Level 10

Postby melissa » Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:50 am

Glad we did:

Receiving line after ceremony - nice to say hello to those who couldn't make it to reception
Assigned seating
Allowed dates/spouses to come with bridal party on bus - made it enjoyable for everyone
Fun table numbers - a lot of work, but everyone enjoyed them
Sent out Save the Dates
Spent the night together before - would have felt wierd without him
Took pics at unique locations to us
Danced and actually partied at our party :)
Remembered to hold my bouquet at my waist as I walked down the aisle (many brides unknowingly hold it up)

Wish we would have (no impact on the actual day):

Given specific pictures to the florist - didn't like cake topper or moms'/grandmother's clutches
More of a specific list to photographer - looking at them now, realized there weren't a lot of family pictures I wish I would have listed, didn't get shot of wedding rings and invitation (which I really wanted...grrr).
Visited Ted Drewes like originally planned for pictures (amazing how different you think the day of)
Chosen black bridesmaid dresses versus pink (long story - don't try to please others or worry about what others will think!)
Given more detailed instructions to guest book attendant (photo guest book, intending for guest to write a note, but instead they just listed their names down the page - so half of the book is blank!)
Melissa and Rick
May 17, 2008
melissa
Level 3
Level 3

Wedding Date: Spring 2008

Postby AmyandBlake » Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:23 am

if you don't get a doc make sure someone is in charge of the boys getting thier flowers. The stupid lady at the church was supposed to but she was a biotch. so, the bouts didn't get put on until AFTER the wedding. talk about waste of freggin money!

i agree with ppl about the lists of pics to take. I JUST got back my proofs two weeks ago, and wish i had a pic of me with my girls seperatly, and the list goes on.

if you have a large bp--put someone in charge of getting ppl on and off bus/trolley/limo bc it took SO MUCH TIME.
AmyandBlake
Level 18
Level 18

Postby redroses » Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:32 am

I just keeping thinking of more!

I am glad we:

-quizzed the DJ and pastor about how to pronounce our last name. They both would have got it wrong.
-gave that list of pics to photographer that people are talking about - especially for the posed different group shots. That way didn't miss stuff and it helped being a lot more organized while doing those and I didn't have to worry about it that day.
-with that list asked that they get a picture of just my parents and a pic of just his parents and pictures of my brother's with just their family. Every pic doesn't have to have us in it, it'll be nice to have and to give to them.
Last edited by redroses on Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Lisa

redroses
Level 15
Level 15

Postby Erin&Ben08 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:35 am

Glad we:
- Dismissed pews at the church. It's much less formal than a recieving line, and much more comfortable for guests because they can sit while waiting to be dismissed.
- Battled with everyone who tried to intrude on the wedding and make it their own. I know this may sound bad, but I wanted the wedding to be our day, not someone elses. I fought many battles during the planning process but I was glad on the day of because on the wedding day it was special to us.
- Spent all night out on the dance floor.
- Took pictures before the ceremony. We didn't feel rushed after the ceremony and it really calmed my anxiety to meet with Ben before the ceremony.
- Had a kids table at the reception. We had a ton of kids (around 20) and we had so many compliments on the table. It was just filled with cheap dollar store toys, games, and coloring books, but it kept everyone occupied all night.

Wish we had:
- hired a DOC. There were so many last minute and day of details I was scrambling to take care of. The extra money would have been worth it so I could have enjoyed my day.
- called the florist when I recieved the flowers and they were wrong. The flowers were the wrong colors and the day of I didn't let it bother me then but now it really upsets me because they clashed with everything else in the wedding. The flowers were a really important part of design and color scheme and they sent me red instead of hot pink. It looks really bad in the pictures. :cry:
- I wish I had tried on my dress after my last fitting. I had lost weight and it was too big on me and they had forgotten to reattach all of the zipper clasps onto the back of the dress. I didn't find out any of this until the morning of the wedding.
-Given myself more time to get ready. I was rushing around like a crazy woman and I didn't get a chance to stop and enjoy myself and relax with my girls.

Erin&Ben08
Level 14
Level 14

Postby kt12883 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:34 pm

baseball bride thank you for this post! this is awesome! keep all the info coming!

Thanks everyone!
kt12883
Level 3
Level 3

Wedding Date: Winter 2008/2009

Next

Disclaimer: The statements expressed in this forum are personal opinions and not necessarily those of the management of this board. Please remember that opinions are subjective, and your experience with any vendor or other entity may be different from the opinions you see listed here. View Terms of Use

Return to General Wedding Talk