Shower Help

A place for St. Louis Brides & Grooms to brainstorm about their weddings

Shower Help

Postby lovemyweenies » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:36 pm

So my brother and his girlfriend got engaged at Christmas and are getting married next year. I've been named the matron of honor. Her cousin is the maid of honor but she has basically told me that she expects me to do all of the duties since she doesn't think her cousin will be responsible enough fulfill them.

So, I'm trying to navigate the role and I've never been in a wedding before let alone been the matron of honor. What is the etiquette surrounding a shower? They have been living together for 6 years and own their own house. Should I advise her to register? Should I throw her a shower? What kind of shower? I hope this isn't coming off as rude, I truly don't really know how to go about it all! Thanks!
ImageImageImage

Image Image
lovemyweenies
Level 14
Level 14

Wedding Date: Summer 2008

Re: Shower Help

Postby jennelled » Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:41 am

Yes, I would expect you to lead the shower planning. Please note, I said "lead" the planning - you should NOT be fully responsible financially or alone in the planning. Even if the MOH isn't on the ball, surely she can handle a few tasks and come to an agreement on $$? Are there any other BMs? I would expect them to contribute time (and probably $$) as well.

As far as what kind to host - ask her! :) I'm sure she has an idea of what she'd like. You don't want to plan a high tea when she's hoping for a couples BBQ, you know?

I'd also advise her to register, even if it's a small registry. Plenty of guests will want to buy something for them, and it's better to direct that urge to things they want / can use.
Jennelle: wife to Matt 06.07.08, mom to Audrey Grace 02.05.12, Clara Rose 08.06.14, and Corinne Elise 09.24.17
Image Image Image
jennelled
Level 19
Level 19

Postby lovemyweenies » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:55 pm

Thank you! I truly feel lost with this kind of stuff, so I appreciate the advice. How much would you expect out of her maid of honor. She's only 18. This whole thing is already starting to feel drama-filled.
ImageImageImage

Image Image
lovemyweenies
Level 14
Level 14

Postby jennelled » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:29 am

lovemyweenies wrote:Thank you! I truly feel lost with this kind of stuff, so I appreciate the advice. How much would you expect out of her maid of honor. She's only 18. This whole thing is already starting to feel drama-filled.

I think it depends on the type of shower. Surely she could help corral the guest list, stuff invites, address them, etc. Show up a little early to help decorate, stay late to clean up.
Jennelle: wife to Matt 06.07.08, mom to Audrey Grace 02.05.12, Clara Rose 08.06.14, and Corinne Elise 09.24.17
Image Image Image
jennelled
Level 19
Level 19

Disclaimer: The statements expressed in this forum are personal opinions and not necessarily those of the management of this board. Please remember that opinions are subjective, and your experience with any vendor or other entity may be different from the opinions you see listed here. View Terms of Use

Return to General Wedding Talk