eco friendly furniture

If you're moving, reparing, or redecorating here's the place to discuss all things home related

eco friendly furniture

Postby MrsChad » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:29 pm

Has anyone looked into environmentally friendly furniture? We are in the process of saving for an organic couch, but there really aren't any showrooms to go see them or sit on them before ordering. I'm nervous about making such a large purchase without testing it out first.
Mindy
ImageImage
ImageImage
MrsChad
Level 16
Level 16

Wedding Date: Summer 2007

Re: eco friendly furniture

Postby jennelled » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:38 am

I have not, but I would be interested in your research! I knew about organic mattresses, and certainly different types of construction would offer various levels of off-gassing...

Buying something sight unseen always makes me nervous, too. Have you considered used furniture? That's always an eco-friendly route! :good:
Jennelle: wife to Matt 06.07.08, mom to Audrey Grace 02.05.12, Clara Rose 08.06.14, and Corinne Elise 09.24.17
Image Image Image
jennelled
Level 19
Level 19

Wedding Date: Summer 2008

Postby mrs.shea » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:20 am

I haven't but I'm interested. Probably not in our price range at the moment (I want a couch for our new family room). I assume it's the off-gassing issue same as mattresses, right? Can you share links to where you're looking? I'd be interested in checking them out. I have been looking at couches online but same issue - afraid to buy sight unseen.

I would think there'd be that type of showroom in your area. ;) I know when I was looking at mattresses there were some in CA but I think further south in the state. Aren't you going to visit San Fran? Maybe there are some around there.
ImageImage

ImageImage
mrs.shea
Level 17
Level 17

Wedding Date: Spring 2007

Postby MrsChad » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:28 am

I would consider purchasing used, except the California fire retardant law changed this past November, so that upholstered furniture makers are no longer required to use fire retardants in their products (TB117-2013). Any used sofa will have fire retardants of course, which don't ever actually go away.

We are saving for an organic one specifically because the cotton and wool in non organic will off gas, plus most that aren't organic still have formaldehyde used, which off gases as well.

The only type of showroom I've been able to find so far has been futon style couches that are made by locals here in Oregon. Several of the places we are considering ordering from do not have a showroom at all in order to cut down on cost to the consumer. Otherwise, they tend to have one or two stores that are in the area in which they are made, but that is actually mostly along the east coast and a couple in San Francisco. We are going to SF this summer (Pilar we need to finalize plans :yahoo: ), but since the couches vary so much in price and materials, I don't know if what we see there is going to reflect what else is out there. We currently do not have a couch. We have a rocking chair that we brought with us, and the girls have their chairs, but besides that we are sitting in our kitchen chairs or bar stools. For my birthday, I am getting some antique metal outdoor chairs for our patio that I think I will leave inside and add a cushion to, till we purchase a couch.
Mindy
ImageImage
ImageImage
MrsChad
Level 16
Level 16

Postby Pil » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:33 am

MrsChad wrote: (Pilar we need to finalize plans :yahoo: )

Just found this pretty much by accident!!! LOL Can't wait!!! :yahoo:
Pil
Level 10
Level 10

Wedding Date: Spring 2006

Postby MrsChad » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:51 pm

Pil wrote:
MrsChad wrote: (Pilar we need to finalize plans :yahoo: )

Just found this pretty much by accident!!! LOL Can't wait!!! :yahoo:

I figured you would be over to this board in the next couple of weeks. ;) I'll message you soon. My children are on an anti bedtime campaign.
Mindy
ImageImage
ImageImage
MrsChad
Level 16
Level 16

Disclaimer: The statements expressed in this forum are personal opinions and not necessarily those of the management of this board. Please remember that opinions are subjective, and your experience with any vendor or other entity may be different from the opinions you see listed here. View Terms of Use

Return to Home is Where the Heart Is